If you’re reading this, you’re likely having trouble with your Kwikset Powerbolt 2 deadbolt. You’ll want to know how to troubleshoot it when something goes wrong. Many people aren’t sure what to do when they experience issues with their smart lock, so we’ve put together this troubleshooting guide to help you get started.
What is Kwikset Powerbolt 2?
Kwikset Powerbolt 2 is a battery-powered Intelligent door lock with an electronic keypad. The product comes in three color variations; silver, brown, or satin nickel.
If you’re looking for a high-security deadbolt, the Kwikset Powerbolt 2 is a great option. It’s easy to install and use and gives you peace of mind knowing that no one can break in without the code.
Kwikset is one of the most popular brands in door locks, and it shows in its reputation for quality products. The Powerbolt 2 comes with many features that add convenience to your life and make your home more secure.
Why is Kwikset Powerbolt 2 so Popular?
Kwikset’s Powerbolt 2 smart deadbolt is a high-security and popular smart lock because it’s easy to install and use and secure.
This intelligent lock includes auto-lock functionality, so you never worry about forgetting to lock up again when leaving the house or going on errands!
Here are some of the reasons why it is popular:
- High-security deadbolt: Kwikset Powerbolt 2 is a high-security deadbolt that offers you peace of mind by keeping your home safe and secure. Kwikset also makes it easy to use.
- Easy to use: Kwikset Powerbolt 2 is an intelligent lock that is easy to install and use. It’s a great smart lock for apartments, renters, and homeowners alike because it’s easy to install and can add peace of mind through its security features.
- Auto-locking: The Kwikset Powerbolt 2 has an auto-locking feature, so you don’t need to worry about leaving your door unlocked or locked when you’re out on the town.
- Easy to install: The Kwikset Powerbolt 2 has everything you need to start the installation immediately. You must follow the instructions to set up your perimeter and door frame sensors to work perfectly with your system.
- Easy to program: Once everything has been installed correctly, all you have left is to set up your master keypad by adding codes for each family member or roommate who will be competent to care for your home while away (or out at work). Afterward, programmable modes can be enabled so guests don’t accidentally lock themselves out of their homes!
kwikset powerbolt 2 parts
- Latch: This is the part that attaches to your doorframe, and it’s what you use to open and close the lock. Your latch will come with a strike plate, a piece installed outside your doorframe.
- Strike: The strike plate attaches to the outside of your doorframe and allows the latch to slide over it when you need to open or close your lock. The Kwikset Powerbolt 2 strike holds everything together during installation so that when all pieces are in place, they create a strong connection between the latch and lock cylinder on both sides of a door frame.
- Exterior Assembly: This part comes with a lock handle and keypad. They are mainly used for entering your user code and opening the lock.
- Interior Assembly: This includes a battery case and a thumb. The battery is used to power the whole lock and make it work well; The thumb button is used to lock from inside and offer extra security.
- Mounting Plate: This is an optional piece if you want some extra security by adding more screws through its mounting holes and what’s provided by default when installing everything together.
- Keys: Each Kwikset powerbolt 2 comes with two keys, so you can easily share access with family members or friends without having them install their deadbolt on their doors! The Kwikset Powerbolt 2 keys help you open and secure your door whenever you can not use your keypad to open your door.
Common Kwikset Powerbolt 2 problems and troubleshooting
In this section, we’ll go over some common Kwikset Powerbolt 2 problems and troubleshooting tips.
Kwikset Powerbolt 2 won’t program.
Unfortunately, there are a few common reasons that cause you can not program Kwikset Powerbolt 2; please check the following reasons:
- Please make sure you have used the correct master code. If you can lose your master code and forget your master code, please try to reset Kwikset Powerbolt 2 lock.
- Please ensure you have finished the programming process in 10 seconds; if not, the system will time out, and you will need to restart the procedure.
- Please ensure all your programming processes are correct; you can check the following programming steps as reference. If not, you will need to restart the programming procedure.
- Please ensure the batteries have been installed well and are full of power. If not, please change the batteries for Kwikset Powerbolt 2
My Kwikset Powerbolt 2 won’t work.
If your Kwikset Powerbolt 2 door lock is having trouble locking and unlocking when you try using it, there are a few things to try before calling a locksmith:
- Check for any low batteries in your keypad lock by pressing and releasing the “Lock” button on the keypad.
- If one or more lights are lit at the top of each column, all four batteries usually function within those columns. If no lights come on in any column, then one or more batteries may be dead; replace them with fresh ones before trying again.
- Ensure the batteries are installed correctly: If only one light is lit up with another one marked out next to it, then it’s possible that both belong in their respective columns but were installed incorrectly; remove both pieces so that they can be reinstalled correctly before trying again (and make sure not to mix them up!).
- If the problem is that the deadbolt isn’t turning when locked or unlocked, make sure that it’s not jammed by any debris (and remove it if necessary).
- You may have accidentally input the wrong code while programming it.
Kwikset Powerbolt 2 won’t reset
What should I do if my Kwikset Powerbolt 2 won’t reset?
- The first thing to check is whether or not your device has power. You’ll need to charge it if it has no battery life left.
- If everything appears fine on that end, try resetting your lock manually.
- Please ensure you find the right reset button at the back side of Interior Assembly.
- Please ensure you have pressed and held the reset button for 5 seconds and heard three long beeps.
- Please ensure you have used the default master code to reset your lock.
Kwikset Powerbolt 2 3 Beeps:
If this happens while trying to unlock a door with a Powerbolt 2 deadbolt and it doesn’t work after several tries, there could be multiple reasons why that might occur:
- Please Make sure that the hole in the door frame behind the strike is drilled at least 1 inch (25 mm) deep.
- Please make sure the strike plate is aligned with the latch bolt. If needed, reposition the strike.
- The key may not be fully inserted into the lock (try turning it further)
- Your battery might need replacing (check if any batteries are missing or dead)
- Your system has been tampered with or damaged in some way
- Your Kwikset Powerbolt 2 is faulty! You’ll need to replace it with a new lock before it stops working.
Kwikset Powerbolt 2 Not Beeping:
If you’re having issues with your Kwikset not beeping:
- Make sure the door is closed so there’s no gap between it and the frame of your entry; this will prevent water from entering into any openings around where you mount your deadbolt lock and potentially corroding some internal components of your lock mechanism over time.
- Also, check to see if there is any buildup on surfaces inside with hard water deposits (like calcium) or other dirt/dust buildup around where water could potentially leak into areas where it shouldn’t go—this may cause some issues in terms of preventing proper function!
- Your Kwikset Powerbolt 2 is flashing green, which means you’ve misconfigured your lock—you may have typed in the wrong passcode or installed it backward! Try re-entering your passcode or flipping the safety over and trying again.
Kwikset Powerbolt 2 keypad not working when touched
If your Kwikset Powerbolt 2 keypad isn’t responding, try the following:
- Make sure the cables are correctly connected
- It is likely that the batteries in your unit have died and need to be replaced.
- Please make sure the batteries are installed correctly.
- Unplug the lock and let it sit for a few minutes. Then, plug it back in and see if that resolves the problem.
- Also, check to ensure all four batteries are correctly installed so they face up. If this doesn’t solve your problem and you’re using new batteries, try replacing them with new ones.
Kwikset Powerbolt 2 is jammed or won’t turn.
If your Kwikset Powerbolt 2 is jammed or won’t turn, try these steps:
- This is usually because something has gotten stuck in the lock, preventing it from moving smoothly. If this happens, remove whatever is blocking the bolt from retracting and try again.
- Try to clean out any gunk you find with a paper towel or cloth, and then try turning your deadbolt again.
- Wipe down any exposed metal parts of the deadbolt with WD-40 oil (or another lubricant) to prevent rusting and corrosion from building up over time.
- If cleaning doesn’t fix things up, then one other possible problem might be that you’ve run out of batteries in your keypad—it could also be that they’ve drained since installation because water got into them somehow.
- If this doesn’t work, see if gently pulling up on your door handle will release the bolt enough for you to open your door without having to unjam it first (this method is only recommended if it’s just stuck and not broken).
- Make sure all screws are tight so they don’t loosen over time, causing misalignment between internal parts that can cause jamming problems in your Kwikset Powerbolt 2 deadbolt system lock cylinder for doors that aren’t used often.
Kwikset Powerbolt 2 Deadbolt won’t retract
- If the deadbolt on your Kwikset Powerbolt 2 won’t retract, try unlocking it manually with a key that has come with locks.
- Make sure all screws are firmly attached at all ends of where they meet metal surfaces; also check for loose wires inside where there may be corrosion over time or due to poor quality materials used during manufacturing which causes corrosion buildup around parts inside.
- Make sure no parts might be damaged during installation either—if someone used something sharp like pliers on anything inside your door frame, there might be damage is done, which would require replacement parts being ordered from a local hardware store.
- This problem may be due to the battery being dead, so check your batteries before assuming there’s something wrong with your Kwikset lock.
- In addition, make sure there’s no debris stuck inside that could prevent proper operation.
Kwikset Powerbolt 2 clicking noise.
Clicking noise: If your Kwikset Powerbolt 2 makes a clicking noise when you turn the lock or unlock it, there is likely something stuck in the lock mechanism. It would help if you tried following these steps before taking the door panel off:
- Spray some WD40 into both sides of the deadbolt and let sit for an hour or so to loosen any corrosion or debris that may be causing trouble with movement inside of your lock cylinder(s).
- Take a stiff wire brush (one that has meetings on both ends, so you don’t damage anything) and clean out any additional debris from around where you see oil leaking out from underneath where most people keep their keys stored at home (usually in between door frames).
- It may be due to a loose strike in the deadbolt. This can be easily fixed by tightening the screws on the door frame and frame casing with an Allen wrench or screwdriver.
The Kwikset Powerbolt 2 cannot be locked or unlocked by the keypad.
- Please ensure the lock is programmed with at least one user code and that you use the correct user code.
- Please ensure you have not disabled user codes and can use the user coder to open the lock. You can only use the key and open the lock in this case.
- Please restore the lock’s default settings if both above cannot work.
The door can be locked with the Lock button, but the User Code will not unlock the door.
- Please ensure you use the correct user code and that the lock button is pushed after entering the User Code.
The Kwikset Powerbolt 2 lock key is not working.
If your key can not use to open your Kwikset Powerbolt 2 lock, first, please make sure you are using the right key. Otherwise, you can try to rekey your Kwikset lock to make a new key. Then try to use this new key to unlock the lock again.
Kwikset Powerbolt 2 programming
If you’re having trouble programming your Kwikset Powerbolt 2, How do you reprogram Kwikset powerbolt 2? Don’t worry! We’ve got the clear Kwikset powerbolt 2 programming instructions steps for you.
The Kwikset Powerbolt 2 programming operation includes a lot, such as deleting user codes, adding user codes, change master codes; now, let’s try to speak one by one:
Please note: If you are new to installing your Kwikset powerbolt 2 lock, the Kwikset powerbolt 2 master code will be 0000, and the default user code is 1234.
Kwikset powerbolt 2 change master code
If you want to change your Kwikset powerbolt 2 master code, please try the following steps:
- Please prepare your old master code well; if you are new, the default master code is 0000.
- Ensure your Kwikset powerbolt 2 lock is unlocked, and the door is open.
- Enter your old master code; for the new installation, the default master is 0000.
- Press the lock button; you will hear one beep. Then press number 7.
- Press the lock button again you will hear one beep.
- Enter your new master code; please note that your new master code must be between 4-10 digits.
- Finally, press the lock button, and you will hear two beeps if successful. If you hear three beeps, it was unsuccessful. Please repeat this procedure.
kwikset powerbolt 2 change code
Please note that you can not change your user code; you can only delete it and add a new user code.
Kwikset powerbolt 2 delete code.
If you want to delete all user code from your Kwikset powerbolt 2 lock, please follow these steps:
- Ensure your Kwikset powerbolt 2 is unlocked and the door is open.
- Enter your existing Master code.
- Press the lock button. You will hear one beep.
- Press 5.
- Press the lock button again. You will hear two beeps if successful. If you hear three beeps, it was unsuccessful. Repeat step 1 slowly.
For a new installation, this will delete the default User Code 1-2-3-4. For subsequent instances, this will delete all User Codes in the lock.
Now the lock can only be operated by the key and turn piece until a new User Code is added in step B.
Kwikset Powerbolt 2 programming
Kwikset powerbolt 2 forgot the master code.
If you have forgotten your master code, you will have to reset your Kwikset powerbolt 2 locks; please check the next chapter to know how to reset your Kwikset powerbolt 2 locks.
Kwikset Powerbolt 2 reset
You may have to reset your Kwikset Powerbolt 2 lock. This can happen for a variety of reasons, including the following:
- You may have forgotten your master code and need to change it.
- You may have changed the batteries in your keypad and need to clear them out so you can reprogram them again.
- Your Kwikset Powerbolt 2 lock has been installed incorrectly by an installer and needs to be removed from its current location and reinstalled correctly.
For you to reset your Kwikset Powerbolt 2 well, let’s try to know the following things first:
- Kwikset powerbolt 2 reset master code: After you reset your Kwikset powerbolt 2 locks, the default master code will be 0000 again.
- Kwikset powerbolt 2 reset user code: After you reset your Kwikset powerbolt 2 locks, the default user code will be 1234.
- Kwikset powerbolt 2 reset button: The Kwikset powerbolt 2 lock reset button has located in this place.
How to reset Kwikset powerbolt 2 lock step by step:
- Make sure the door is open and unlocked. Press and hold the Reset button for 5 seconds until you hear three long beeps.
- Enter the default Master code (O-O-O-0).
- Press. You will hear one beep.
- Press 0.
- Press. The latch bolt will extend and retract to learn the door’s orientation. If successful, the keypad will flash green, and you will hear two beeps. If unsuccessful, the keypad will flash red, and you will hear three beeps (make sure the door is open and unlocked and you are using a fresh set of batteries).
- Test the lock: With the door open and unlocked, press. Make sure it locks the door.
- Test the default User Code: Enter the default User Code (1-2-3-4), then press. Make sure it unlocks the door. The default Master code is 0-0-0-0. It is recommended that you change it to a code of your own.
- The lock is pre-programmed with a default User Code of 1-2-3-4. It is recommended that you delete this code.
After you reset the lock, please do not forget to change your default master code and delete the default user code.
Kwikset powerbolt 2 Factory Reset
If you want to know more about resetting a keypad lock, please check this article: How to Reset a Keypad Door Lock? The Precise Reset Steps
Kwikset Powerbolt 2 manual
Kwikset powerbolt 2 installation
If you have any trouble when you are installing your Kwikset powerbolt lock 2 lock, please check the below Kwikset powerbolt 2 installation video:
How to install Kwikset powerbolt 2?
We hope this Kwikset Powerbolt 2 troubleshooting guide has given you a better understanding of the Kwikset Powerbolt 2 and how to troubleshoot any problems.
The most important thing to remember when intelligent troubleshooting lock is to stay calm and patient. Don’t give up too soon on finding a solution because many possible solutions could work for your situation!
Need any more help? Please contact ShineACS Locks at any time.
More Kwikset locks troubleshooting: