The hotel elevator is necessary equipment for transporting hotel customers in most hotels.
It is necessary to bring a convenient check-in experience to hotel customers and ensure the safe use of elevators.
This article will answer some common hotel questions for you, such as the hotel elevator’s configuration and requirements and how to choose, maintain, and clean hotel elevators in COVID-19.
To bring convenience, speed, and a safe living experience to customers through hotel elevators.
Why Are Hotel Elevators Important?
No matter how big or small a building is, the elevator is always one of the most important key elements. An example of an industry that places great emphasis on elevator functions is the hotel industry.
The hotel elevator impacts the hotel’s reputation and customer satisfaction, sometimes even beyond our imagination.
Why? In addition to the hotel elevators, it can provide hotel guests with a more convenient, safe and comfortable living experience. Once the elevator fails when the hotel guests take the elevator, no matter which country they are in, this cannot be quickly forgotten.
The bad effects caused by these hesitating failures often lead to a negative reputation of the hotel, especially through the Internet. As a result, the hotel business is getting worse and worse.
Therefore, it is becoming more important to understand hotel elevators better and do a good job in configuration, maintenance, and safety.
What Are The Types of Elevators For Hotels?
According to the classification of elevator driving methods, there are currently three types of elevators most commonly used in hotels: hydraulic elevators, traction elevators and machine room-less elevators(MRL)
Hydraulic Elevator for Hotels
A hydraulic elevator refers to an elevator that uses a hydraulic power source to press the oil into the cylinder to make the plunger move in a straight line and move the car directly or indirectly through a steel wire rope.
A hydraulic elevator is an integrated product of machinery, electricity, electronics and hydraulics.
It consists of the following relatively independent but interrelated systems: pumping station system, hydraulic system, guiding system, car, door system, electrical control system, safety protection System etc.
Hydraulic elevator characteristics:
1, Flexible machine room settings: The machine room can be located around the elevator shaft with an area of about 2M*2M, which is enough to accommodate equipment, installation, and maintenance space and can be laid out fully in line with the architectural design.
2, Reduce investment costs: The distance between the top floor is 3.6 meters or more, and there is no need to set up a top-level computer room, and it is in line with the aesthetics of the overall building.
The investment cost of hydraulic elevators is lower than that of traction elevators
3, High hoistway utilization rate: Generally, hydraulic elevators are not equipped with counterweight devices, so the utilization rate of the hoistway area can be improved.
4, It runs smoothly and rides comfortably: The hydraulic system transmits the power evenly and smoothly. The proportional valve can realize step-less speed regulation.
The elevator running speed curve changes smoothly, so the comfort is better than the traction speed control ladder.
A hydraulic elevator is higher than a traction elevator in product performance
5, Good safety, high reliability, and easy maintenance.
6, The failure rate is low: Elevator operation failures can be minimized due to the advanced hydraulic system and good electro-hydraulic control method.
7, Good energy saving: When the hydraulic elevator descends, it is driven by the pressure generated by its own weight, saving energy.
8, The troubleshooting is simple: The personnel can be rescued by simple operation by the management personnel.
Disadvantages of hydraulic elevators:
the lifting height is limited, half of which are not suitable for buildings above 6 floors, and the running speed of the elevator is not very fast, generally not exceeding 1M/S.
Some hydraulic elevators have oil leakage and pollution problems.
Due to the smooth running, comfort, low noise, and high utilization rate of hydraulic elevators, hydraulic elevators are widely used in public places such as hotels, factories, shopping malls, office buildings, parking lots, stations, and airports.
They are used with other driving forms (such as traction elevators) as vertical transportation tools.
Traction Elevator for Hotels
Traction hotel elevators use traction wheels as driving components. The wire rope is suspended on the traction sheave.
One end suspends the car, and the other end suspends the counterweight device. The friction between the wire rope and the traction sheave generates the traction force to drive the car up and down.
Machine-Room-Less Elevators for Hotels
Machine room-less elevator refers to a traction elevator without an additional machine room above the hoistway. The machine is located in the override space and can be accessed from the top of the elevator car when maintenance or repair is required.
The control box is located in the control room close to the elevator shaft on the highest floor, about 150 feet from the machine.
The machine room-less elevator can travel at a speed of up to 500 feet per minute and a maximum travel distance of up to 250 feet. In terms of installation and maintenance costs, these elevators are comparable to gear elevators.
However, the energy consumption of machine-room-less elevators is lower than that of gear traction elevators.
Due to their operation, reliability, and energy efficiency, these elevators are becoming more and more popular in mid-tier applications.
Hotel Elevator Parts
The hotel elevator is a kind of equipment integrating mechanical, electrical, and electronic control technology.
The mechanical part is equivalent to the human body, the electrical part is equivalent to the human nerves, and the microcomputer electronic control part is equivalent to the human brain.
The various parts work together and divide labor to ensure the safe and reliable operation of the elevator.
The main function of the traction system is to output and transmit power to make the elevator run. The traction system comprises a traction machine, a traction wire rope, a guide wheel, and an anti-rope wheel.
The main function of the guiding system is to limit the freedom of movement of the car and the counterweight so that the car and the counterweight can only move up and down along the guide rail.
The guiding system is mainly composed of the guide rail, guide shoe and guide rail frame.
The elevator car is the elevator component that transports passengers and goods. The elevator car is composed of a car frame and a car body.
The main function of the hotel elevator door system is to seal the landing entrance and the car entrance. The elevator door system is composed of a car door, landing door, door opener and door lock device.
Weight Balance System
The main function of the weight balance system is to balance the weight of the elevator car relatively.
During hotel elevator operation, the weight difference between the car and the counterweight can be kept within the limit to ensure the normal traction transmission of the elevator.
The system is mainly composed of counterweight and weight compensation devices.
Electric Drive System
The function of the electric drive system is to provide power and implement elevator speed control. The electric drive system is composed of a traction motor, a power supply system, a speed feedback device, and a motor speed control device.
Electrical Elevator Control System
The main function of the electrical elevator access control system is to manipulate and control the operation of the elevator.
The electrical hotel elevator control system comprises operating devices, position display devices, elevator control panels (cabinet), leveling devices, layer selectors, etc.
Safety Protection System
The main function of a safety protection system is to ensure the safe use of elevators and prevent all accidents that endanger personal safety. It is composed of a speed limiter, safety gear, buffer, and terminal protection device.
The hotel passenger elevator adopts a vector-controlled digital closed-loop VVVF frequency converter.
According to the actual load of the car, the up and down speeds can be adjusted to the current size and phase to accurately control the rotation torque of the main engine in real-time to ensure the smooth operation of the elevator.
For knowing more about the components of hotel elevators, please check this video:
What Elevators Does The Hotel Have?
Normally, a standard hotel should include the following elevators for different purposes: hotel passenger elevator, freight elevator, service elevator, food elevator, fire elevator, escalator.
Hotel Passenger Elevator
An elevator designed for transporting hotel guests, the hotel passenger elevator requires complete safety facilities and a certain car interior decoration.
Some high-end hotels are only available to hotel customers, personnel above the supervisor level, and those below the supervisor level when they need to guide guests.
Hotel Freight Elevator
The hotel freight elevator is mainly used to transfer goods and materials between different hotel floors and the materials that must be replaced to transfer hotel rooms.
Compared with hotel passenger elevators, the trucks of hotel freight elevators travel slower; they can carry heavier loads and withstand harsher working conditions.
Hotel Service Elevator
Hotel service elevators and freight elevators are easy to confuse, but several defining characteristics distinguish the two:
Hotel Service elevators are improved passenger elevators and are usually located in employee-dedicated areas of buildings.
For example, the large elevators seen in the hospital or the elevators used by the staff of the hotel room department. These elevators need to be wide and deep enough for large objects such as beds to be placed comfortably.
The hotel service elevator is designed to allow employees to move around and transport goods easily without disturbing guests or visitors in the building.
Hotel Food Elevator
A food elevator refers to a small elevator used to transport food from the hotel kitchen or restaurant to other floors in the hotel and is only used to transport food.
Unlike other elevators in the hotel, the food elevator must be separated and dedicated. Because it mainly transports food, it must be kept clean and hygienic, free of bacteria, and often disinfected.
Hotel Fire Elevator
A hotel fire elevator is an elevator used by firefighters to extinguish and rescue fires in the event of a fire in a hotel to rescue people who may be trapped on higher floors in a building.
The main functions of the fire elevator are:
- For firefighters to bring fire-fighting equipment into the high-rise firefighting;
- Rescue and evacuate the injured, the elderly, the weak, the sick, and the disabled;
- Prevent firefighters and evacuees from forming a “collision” on the evacuation stairs, which not only delays the fire-fighting opportunity but also affects the evacuation of personnel;
- Prevent firefighters from climbing the stairs for a long time, consume a lot of time, and have insufficient physical strength to ensure that they can quickly enter the battle.
At the same time, because other working elevators are often out of service due to power outages and unprotected fireworks when a fire occurs, it is necessary to install a hotel fire elevator.
Hotel Elevator Configuration and Requirements
Since there are many elevators for different purposes in hotels, such as passenger elevators, freight elevators, service elevators, fire elevators, etc., the specific configurations and requirements of these elevators are also different in different hotels.
Please note that all passenger elevators, freight elevators, service elevators, and fire elevators must-have emergency landing, automatic landing, and manual landing functions.
The elevator hall (room) and fire center on the first floor should be equipped with elevator manual landing switches (press).
Hotel Passenger elevator configuration
1, Hotel passenger elevator waiting time: ≤40s
2, Hotel passenger elevator quantity:
- Five-star hotel: 60~70 rooms are equipped with an elevator
- Four-star hotel: 70~80 rooms are equipped with an elevator
- Economical hotel: 80~90 rooms are equipped with an elevator
3, Hotel passenger elevator load calculation:
- Five-star hotels: loading capacity from 1350KG to 1600KG
- Four-star hotels: loading capacity from 1250KG to 1350KG
- Economical hotel: load capacity from 1000KG to 1250KG
4, Hotel passenger elevator size(WxDxH):
- Five-star hotels: 2250x1800x2800~2900
- Four-star hotels: 2000x1650x2500~2800
- Economical hotel: 1950x1500x2300~2500
5, Hotel passenger elevator speed:
- 2-5 Floor: 1m/sVVF
- 5-12 Floor: 1.75~2.25m/sVVVF
- 13-22 Floor: 2.5m/sVVVF
- 23-32 Floor: 3.5m/sVVVF
- 33 Floor and above: 4.0m/sVVVF
6, Hotel Passenger elevator door size：
- Load capacity 1350KG~1600KG , 1200 (mm) is recommended
- Load capacity 1350KG~1250KG , 1100 (mm) is recommended
- Load capacity 1250KG~1000KG recommendation 1100~900 (mm)
Hotel Passenger Elevator Requirements:
1, The elevator car of the lobby on the first floor must be equipped with a fire switch (switch for emergency landing of all elevators in the same area), a fire telephone jack, and an emergency sign.
2, The inside of the elevator car must include:
1) Operation panel: there must be two (one on each side of the door in the car, the panel must include all necessary buttons and corresponding braille Symbol setting)
2) Alarm button, five-party (elevator machine room, elevator car-top, elevator car, elevator pit, security control monitoring center) intercom system, and multi-party intercom system.
3) Background music broadcast speaker: placed on the top of the car (also used as emergency broadcast), the elevator supplier needs to provide the accompanying broadcast speaker
4) Emergency light: At least one light above the main layer selection panel has an emergency function. That is, it is equipped with a charging device and can be used for 1.5 hours.
5) Arrival bell (including arrival prompt sound, door opening and closing prompt sound, driving direction prompt sound), arrival lights (driving direction indication and necessary layer display).
6) Height difference reservation: If the interior decoration of the elevator car requires the ground to be made of stone, the height difference between the car floor and the ground threshold should generally be reserved ≥ 2cm (combined with the decoration requirements, the elevator manufacturer customizes the size according to the needs ).
7) CCTV camera (hole): The reserved position is generally at the upper right corner of the elevator (the elevator supplier must provide audio and video “high-definition” standard accompanying cables).
8) All relevant emergency functions, such as fire control, emergency power supply, automatic return to the first floor, etc.
9) The CCTV monitoring room must have a display device that shows the elevator running and stopping floors. It is recommended to use a character generator to superimpose the floor characters on the surveillance screen image through the camera video cable.
10) Intelligent group control of multiple elevators, idle allocation, and the carrying flow function (can be superimposed and selected according to requirements).
11) Other functions are selected according to the elevator company’s offer to meet the needs of the hotel’s operation.
12) The elevator car top needs to reserve a dedicated air-conditioning installation space and power supply for the elevator.
13) Liquid crystal display: Each car is equipped with an 8-10 inch LCD screen (optional according to actual requirements).
14). Dual and generator power supply (50% elevator operation is guaranteed when the generator is powered).
Hotel Service Elevator Configuration
Configuration without considering the transportation of skirts and guest rooms:
1. Hotel service elevator quantity:
- The number of rooms is 200~300, ≥2 service elevators
- The number of guest rooms is between 300 and 500, with ≥3 service elevators;
- The number of guest rooms is more than 500 rooms,
- An additional service elevator will be added for every additional 120-150 rooms.
2. Hotel service elevator load capacity: 1250KG~1350KG.
3. Hotel service elevator size of the car (WxDxH): (1950~1600) x (1400~2400) x2500
4. Hotel service elevator Speed: Refer to passenger elevator configuration.
5. Hotel service elevator Car door size: 1100~900mm wide, 2100-2300mm high.
Hotel Service Elevator Requirements:
1. The hotel service elevator hall on the first floor must have a fire switch (switch for emergency landing of all elevators in the same area), a fire telephone jack, and an emergency sign.
2. Inside the car:
1) Operation panel: one piece, including all necessary buttons, anti-vandal design, stainless steel panel.
2) The inner wall is a thick stainless steel panel. Hard impact protection planks (such as oak) are installed horizontally on both sides and back walls, with the center being 300mm above the ground.
3) PVC elastic-plastic floor, non-slip single-sided embossed 6mm thick aluminum plate.
4) Embedded daylight lamps with cover.
5) Other related parts: refer to the passenger elevator part to choose according to needs
6) Dual and generator power supply (50% elevator operation is guaranteed when the generator is powered).
Hotel Fire Elevator Requirements:
Fire elevator refers to the elevator configured according to the fire protection requirements in the existing passenger elevators and service elevators.
1. Every floor must be reachable.
2. The carload, the net size of the car, the size of the car door, the speed of the elevator, etc., are all based on the requirements of the regional elevator configuration.
5. The fire-fighting function is set by relevant regulations.
6. Dual power supply and generator power supply. Every floor must be reachable.
Freight elevator requirements:
A freight elevator is installed when materials such as beds must be transported from the ground to the room.
1. Location: at the service channel or at the unloading platform that is not on the same floor in the same functional space.
2. Door: Provide a special double-opening door configuration for freight elevators (central or unilateral opening).
3. Dimensions: The load and platform dimensions are determined according to the project requirements but cannot be smaller than the service elevator.
The Basic Hotel Elevator Functions Requirements:
1. Operation panel: each layer must include up and down instructions. The terminal station has only a one-way display. The operation panel should include an embedded telephone box and indicator buttons; the buttons must be durable.
2. Arrival indicator light: The arrival indicator light must be installed above the hotel elevator entrance of each floor (except the first floor), including the up and down arrival instructions of each elevator.
It will flash in advance, and the hotel elevator will make a sound when it arrives and continue to flash until the elevator leaves. The minimum lead time is 4 seconds.
3. First-floor indicator light: The floor indicator light is installed above the hotel elevator entrance on the first floor. The floor indicator light must have numbers and lights to show the elevator operation.
The elevator manufacturer can provide standard floor indicators.
4. Elevator floor indicator: The elevator floor indicator should be able to display the operation of each elevator
5. Elevator telephone: The elevator must be equipped with an embedded telephone, and the telephone line must be connected to the telephone exchange room.
The phone case must be made of metal and have a metal-hinged door. The installation position of the telephone must be more than 1.5 meters above the ground.
6. Public address system: each elevator must reserve the position of the broadcasting speaker, and the elevator supplier shall provide the broadcasting speaker accompanying cable
7. Decorative surface: The main metal surface of the elevator car, the operation panel and the signal device, and other metal accessories should be stainless steel unless otherwise specified.
8. The surface of the car floor of the kitchen service elevator needs to be treated with anti-corrosion before laying PVC elastic-plastic floor.
Hotel Elevator Requirements for People with Disabilities
Among some superior hotels, the hotel creates a special elevator environment for disabled guests.
For the Elevators:
With hotels that have more than 2-floors, a regular-size passenger elevator will work just fine.
Ensure that it has required stoppages on all floors. This should include access to the basement in case a guest is unable to use the stairs.
Turning the insides of normal passenger elevators for specially-abled guests is quite simple. You must:
- Add sound-triggers to show whether the hotel elevator is traveling upwards or going down.
- Include Voice Messages that announce floors as the guest reaches them.
- Get push buttons with Braille characters embossed on them.
- Ensure that the topmost floor control button is not placed over 4’6 ft. above the floor.
In the Hotel Elevator Lobby:
Make sure that all décor elements are placed at a decent distance from the elevator doors. Also, check whether the placement is blocking access to the call buttons or not.
A 4-inch gap between decorative items and the elevator or its call buttons is recommended. Get buttons that showcase the name of the particular floor the guest is on currently.
In case of Emergency:
All your passenger elevators should have an installed Emergency Communication System. You can also add a communication device to allow your operators to communicate with the occupants.
Moreover, if both these systems are enclosed, accessing them should be easy with even a single hand.
How Does a Hotel Elevator Cost?
Due to the significant improvements in the design of hotel elevators, their power supply methods, and the intensified competition with more manufacturers to introduce new products to the market over the years, the cost of hotel elevators has been significantly reduced.
Hotel Elevator Cost by Type
Hydration and pneumatic are the most common in families of the main types of elevators used in hotels, and different types of hotel elevators have different prices.
Hotel hydraulic lift cost: On average, the cost of a hotel hydraulic elevator is US$20,000 to US$50,000.
Hotel traction elevator cost: The cost of hotel traction elevators ranges from US$23,000 to US$39,000.
Hotel elevator cost by the number of floors: Generally speaking, for every additional floor, the cost of installing elevators increases by an average of approximately US$8,000.
Elevator installation cost
Since the hotel elevators produced by different elevator manufacturers are different, the corresponding installation environment and requirements are also different.
Therefore, most hotel elevators are installed by elevator manufacturers or companies that sell them.
In many cases, the installation cost is included in the total cost of the elevator itself, especially those that are easy to install and do not require shafts or important structures.
Installation costs may vary greatly depending on the elevator’s location, the type of elevator, whether a shaft is needed, and how many floors the elevator needs to climb.
Estimated installation costs start at around US$8,500, and some larger jobs can be as high as US$35,000.
Elevator replacement cost
If you already have an elevator system, and after a long period of use, the hotel elevator is too old and not so convenient and safe to use, then you can consider replacing the hotel elevator at this time.
However, it depends on the type of elevator you are replacing, whether to replace it with a new type and how much work needs to be done.
The cost of replacing a hotel elevator can be as low as US$10,000 or as high as US$50,000 or more.
For example, switching to a different style, such as a cable-driven elevator to a hydraulic hotel elevator, usually increases the project cost by 5,000 to 10,000 US dollars.
How to Choose Hotel Elevators?
Hotel Elevators allow the guests to navigate and travel through the hotel with ease. This is why hotel elevators have an important role in fostering the best guest experience.
Additionally, the irreplaceable spot of these systems makes it crucial for the developers to pick the right option.
There are so many questions that would come up to you when you think about installing an elevator set up in your hotel. And to make this easy, here we have answers to some of the commonest queries:
When Do Hotels need Elevators?
If we refer to the International Building Code directives, a hotel building with 4 or more floors must have a minimum of 1 elevator. Besides all the codes provided, hotels must also have their basic requirements in their policy or standard guidelines.
How Many Elevators Does Hotel Need?
A hotel with 75 to 80 rooms or a low-rise setup should have at least 1 elevator. These establishments should also have a service elevator if the number of rooms is around 100.
If the room count ranges from 100 to 150, it is recommended that you have at least 2 passenger elevators. For hotels with over 200 rooms, a 3-elevator setup is required.
What Size Does Hotel Elevator Need(Inner Cab Dimensions)?
A conventional elevator cab follows the standard 6′-8″ x 5′-5″ size for all industries. However, there can be changes to these based on the requirements and needs of the franchise.
Some buildings may even require having a stretcher elevator for emergencies.
What is The Loading Capacity of The Hotel Elevator?
Generally, the standard hotel elevators have a weight capacity of 3,000 to 4,000lbs. Many leading hotel chains follow minimum capacity requisites as well; it is included in their brand guidelines.
What is the Hotel Elevator Location?
As mentioned above, the minimum distance on foot, from the rooms to elevators, should not be over 150ft. To make it easier for the guests, popular hotels reduce this distance for quick navigation.
When Do Hotels Need A Service Elevator?
Having at least 1 service elevator is important for hotel buildings with multiple floors. For smaller facilities, owners can use the guest elevator as a substitute for their service elevator.
However, in such cases, the particular elevator must have 2 doors: one facing the front and the other back. Also, in these, you will have to ensure that the door opens right to the backhouse.
You can provide the housekeeping staff with keyed entry to these areas, preventing guests from entering the area. Lastly, such setups also require a wider elevator shaft.
When Do Hotels Need a Stretcher Elevator?
Hotels or commercial buildings that have 4 or more floors need to have a Stretch Elevator. These special elevators must be designed to easily fit an Ambulance Stretcher of size 24″ x 84″ horizontally.
They should also have a 3,500lbs capacity with an off-centered door.
What Speed of Hotel Elevator Need?
The speed requirements for passenger elevators differ based on the number of floors and the type of setup.
However, in most of the 3 or 5-floor Hotels, the average speed of the hotel elevator is set to 100 to 200 ft. per minute.
Similar to various other requisites, the high-end hotels also follow minimum speed requirements.
Do Hotel Elevators Need Backup Power?
Hotels elevators normally require backup power, especially if it is located in an area that faces frequent power cuts. Furthermore, it is also an essential protective element in case of emergencies.
You can choose one of the below-mentioned 2 options:
- Hotel with less than 4-stories: The hotel elevator system should be linked to the Main Switch Board. It should also have a battery lowering system. Having this setup will ensure that the car returns to the landing level during power cuts or emergencies.
- Hotel with more than 4-stories: In such cases, the hotel elevator systems should be connected to the Emergency Generator. This will ensure that the car continues to function even during power cuts. However, the only requisite is that the generator should have enough power to run the elevators for at least 2 hours.
Emergency Plan for Trapped People in Hotel Elevators
1. Rescue Process
(1) Inform the trapped personnel and wait for rescue.
When a hotel elevator trapping accident occurs, the hotel operator or rescue personnel will contact the trapped personnel through the telephone or shout in the elevator. Be sure to keep calm and wait for the rescuers to help.
Trapped persons are not allowed to extend any part of their body out of the car. If the car door is half-open and closed, rescuers should try to close the car door completely.
(2) Determine the position of the car accurately and prepare for rescue. Determine the car’s position according to the floor indicator, PC display or open the hall door and rescue the passengers.
2. Rescue Steps
(1) Rescue steps when the hotel elevator car stops at a position close to the elevator entrance
Turn off the power switch of the machine room, use the special outer door lock key to open the outer door, and slowly open the car door with the workforce on the top of the car to assist the passengers in leaving the car and closing the hall door again.
(2) Rescue steps when the hotel elevator car is far from the elevator entrance
(3) Enter the machine room, turn off the power switch of the malfunctioning elevator, and notify the people in the car not to approach the car door, and take care to avoid being bumped or injured by the goods.
(4) Inform relevant personnel before the operation, and operate the elevator emergency plan to rescue trapped people only after receiving a response.
Four people must operate the machine room, at least two people cranking, one person releases the brake, one person supervises, and pays attention to the leveling marks.
(5) The hotel elevator car moves to the leveling floor, and the brake is reliably restored to the braking state.
(6) Confirm that the brake is correct and release the handwheel of the car.
Hotel Elevator Maintenance Tips
Ensuring the precise functioning of the hotel elevators is important for any Hotel if they want to keep the guests happy. It also helps the guests and staff members to move around quickly within the premises.
Therefore, if you wish to avoid facing a system breakdown, then follow these tips:
Track Hotel Elevator Operations & Issues
Keeping an eye on the frequency of the hotel elevator’s overall functioning can help determine the root cause of the problem. Maintaining this record will ensure that the maintenance team can quickly understand the issue at hand and deliver optimal solutions.
These records will provide you with any recurring patterns in the problem occurrence. It can also render information about abnormal running, noises, or problems during peak hours.
Perform Regular Inspections
This is one of the best ways to ensure your hotel elevator systems’ long life and befitting functioning. Make sure the team does not miss out on any point or problem while inspecting the setup.
Moreover, watch every minor change closely to ensure there are no long-term problems.
Remove Malfunctioned Parts
Don’t wait for the last moment; always provide instant replacements for the faulty parts or equipment in the hotel elevator.
Whether the call button or cab light, make sure you substitute them with a new one. And get professional assistance in case of major faults.
Never Use Industrial Cleaners
Remember that the hotel elevators’ interior mechanics are highly susceptible to corrosion when they contact harsh products.
This means that using robust industrial cleaning agents can damage the machinery.
It can cause a major malfunction in the system. Thus, it is advised that rather than using a heavy-duty cleaner, use mild alternatives.
Also, you can employ those products only when recommended by the manufacturer or professional cleaner.
Follow Weight Directives
If your hotel has a service elevator carrying heavy items and products, check that the staff follows the provided weight guidelines.
Overloading the car can inflict damage to the mechanical parts of the elevator.
It is also hazardous for the occupants of the elevator when it’s moving. So try and have a quarter of the provided total capacity of the car.
Furthermore, maintaining the right weight in the cab also ensures that the system operates smoothly without bumps.
Also, here is a video about how to maintain the elevator step by step for your reference:
What Should You Do for Hotel Elevators in COVID-19?
Keeping the growing awareness in mind, from the post-COVID-19 phase, Hotels should look for measures to ensure the health & safety of the guests while using the elevators.
Being a frequently used spot of the hotel makes elevators a medium of spreading germs.
Therefore, hotels can appoint a staff responsible for operating the car from the inside to avoid this. You can also limit the number of people using one elevator at a time.
Lastly, you may place sanitizers near the call buttons to encourage the guests to maintain best hygiene practices. Few other protective measures include:
- Use Disinfectant Wipes to clean Buttons & other high-contact areas
- Sanitize the Handrails & Call Buttons, if any, every few hours
- Place “Social Distancing” signs inside all Cars
Hotel Elevator Cleaning Tips in COVID-19
The elevators for commercial spaces, like Hotels, are made from stainless steel. It is a remarkably lasting material and does not require much maintenance.
But, this does not mean that one can cut costs and efforts when it comes to cleaning.
You should have skilled and trained staff that performs complete sanitization and cleaning of the hotel elevators. This will help you maintain a hygienic environment and safeguard the system’s life.
As it is an area that receives the highest footfall, performing routine clean-up can help prevent the spread of harmful microbes.
Additionally, to provide you with a better ‘in-detail glance over the maintenance process, here we have a few expert tips for you to follow:
Sills & Tracks
Tracks are the small spaces that fall between the floor landing and elevator doors. Sill is the metal strip that is present on landing and elevator doors.
These areas are also prone to having heavy dust, dirt, debris, and other small particle deposits. Using a powerful vacuum cleaner is the easiest and most cost-effective way of cleaning these.
For commercial elevators, a qualified technician is appointed to perform pit cleaning. Dust, dirt, or other particles may slip through the gap between the doors and accumulate in the pit below the elevator car.
While this might not sound like a major issue, this deposit can build up and affect the system’s functioning over time. Periodic cleaning of the Pit also helps in ensuring there are no pest infestations.
Doors & Walls
As stated above, most hotel elevators are made from stainless steel. You can use specialized stainless steel cleaners to remove stains, marks, and spots from the walls and doors.
The inside walls should be cleaned with non-corrosive cleaners.
If you have carpeted the floor in the elevator, the best cleaning approach is to start by brushing and then vacuuming. While for steel or tiled floors, you can use recommended polish.
Light Fixtures & Panel Buttons
Use an Anti-bacterial cleaning product with a microfiber cloth to remove all stains or germs from the buttons. Try not to use a spray cleaner, as the small droplets can seep in the gaps and damage the mechanics.
How to Clean Hotel Elevators Step by Step?
1. Open the control box and press the designated button to stop the hotel elevator at the designated floor for operation. It should be noted that only one hotel elevator can be stopped at a time, and one elevator should be reserved for guests to use.
2. Place the “cleaning working” sign in front of the hotel elevator door.
3. Clean the glass mirror surface with glass cleaner. Glass mirrors and stainless steel doors are required to be bright, clean, stain-free, and fingerprint-free.
4. Clean the elevator stainless steel doors with stainless steel cleaner.
5. Use furniture cleaning wax to clean the ceiling and wooden decorations.
6. Use a vacuum cleaner to suck the dust from the corners of the elevator and the elevator door rails.
7. Wipe the dust off the floor and door rails with a damp cloth.
8. After waiting for the ground to be dry, install the foot protection board for waxing and polishing. The polished brightness should be high, and the floor marble should be evenly sprayed and polished.
9. After the work is completed, take out the protection board, restore the elevator control button to the original position, close the elevator control box, and resume the normal operation of the elevator.
10. If the hotel elevator has carpets, replace the carpets every morning and increase the number of replacements if necessary.
11. The hotel should patrol the elevator’s sanitary condition, clean locally during the day, keep the ground clean, clean the elevator doors, stainless steel in the cabin, mirrors and other decorations in cycles.
Carry out a comprehensive cleaning and maintenance of the elevator at night.
The sudden outburst of the global COVID-19 pandemic has highlighted the possibilities of similar occurrences in the future.
Furthermore, it has also generated awareness among the industries and consumers about following the best hygiene practices.