Defiant locks are one of the best-sold intelligent door locks in home depot, and they are popular due to their ease of use and flexibility. However, they can sometimes have some issues. Here are some common problems and solutions if you have a Defiant lock.
In this article, we will discuss Defiant lock troubleshooting so that you can best diagnose any issues that arise with your Defiant locks and get them working again quickly and efficiently!
What is a Defiant lock?
Defiant locks are a brand of security lock made by Taiwanese manufacturer “Taiwan Fu Hsing Ind. Co. Ltd” and exclusively sold at Home Depot.
Why are Defiant locks popular?
Defiant locks are arguably a popular door lock system in the United States. The Defiant Lock is right if you’re looking for a lock that is easy to maintain, repair, and install.
While these locks may seem to have a few disadvantages, you’ll find that they are very popular among homeowners. Here’s why:
- They’re easy to use. This is probably the biggest reason people install these kinds of locks. They don’t need any special tools or training to use them, so anyone can quickly break into their home with just a few simple steps.
- Durability is another major benefit of using Defiant locks inside and outside your home. They won’t wear out as quickly as other types might over time due to the higher quality materials used during production.
- Easy to install: If you have some basic DIY skills, installing the keyless lock yourself is a good idea. The Defiant lock is easy to install and takes only minutes. The whole process can be completed with just a screwdriver and wrench.
- Affordable: The price of an average Defiant lock is about $60, which is affordable compared to other locks on the market that cost over $200 for the same amount of quality and security offered by this brand.
- Easy to maintain because they don’t require many parts, so there is no need for regular replacement or repair of worn-out parts such as springs or tumblers. Because of this, you can avoid costly repairs on your own and replace the whole lock if something goes wrong with it.
- Easy to repair because all you have to do is pull out your old key and insert a new one into the cylinder—no matter what model you have! So even if you don’t know much about locks, getting into your home won’t be an issue when something goes wrong with your Defiant lock.
Defiant locks parts
- Battery cover — This part is used to cover the battery of your lock and can be removed to replace a dead or weak battery.
- Set Button — The Set button is a primary function on most Defiant locks. You can use this button to turn on your lock and set new codes into the device.
- Interior thumbturn–This part allows you to open or lock your lock by turning it manually from the inside.
- Exit/Lock Button: Located on the back of your lock, this button will help you exit the lock or keep it locked if you need to open a different door.
- Keypad: The keypad is used to manually enter a passcode into your lock before entering to gain access through that door.
- Mechanical Keyway Override: The mechanical keyway override allows you to open a door without a code. This feature is useful if your batteries are low and all other options have been exhausted.
Common Defiant lock problems and troubleshooting
If your Defiant smart lock is not working, it might be time to troubleshoot the problem. The following are some common Defiant lock problems and their solutions:
Defiant lock Keypad not working or responding.
- If the keypad is not responding to your input, it may be because the batteries in your lock have run out of power. Replace them with fresh ones and see if that helps fix your issue.
- Does the keypad light up when pressed? If it doesn’t, there may be an issue with the power supply or wiring of the lock. Also, make sure that any wires are securely connected.
- Make sure the batteries are installed properly.
- The batteries are getting low if the battery indicator keeps flashing. Please replace with four new batteries for the best performance (alkaline batteries only ).
- Ensure the cable is well-connected to the port and was not damaged during installation.
- Please ensure the lock has been set up and complete the bolt direction determination.
Master Code can not be changed.
You will have to factory reset your lock without programming and reprogram all codes.
The Defiant lock can not lock/unlock by the keypad
If you can not lock or unlock your Defiant lock with the keypad, please try the following:
- Make sure you have entered the correct User Code.
- The battery is low if the battery indicator light keeps flashing. Please replace them with four new batteries.
- Make sure the cable is firmly connected.
- Check the cable for any damage that may have occurred during installation.
- Make sure the batteries are properly installed. (Alkaline batteries only)
- Check the strike plate to ensure it is properly aligned and clear so the bolt can freely move in the hole.
The Defiant lock can not be reset.
Please make sure the battery is not low if the battery indicator light keeps flashing. Please replace it with four new batteries and factory reset it again.
Defiant lock not locking or unlocking properly.
If you’re having trouble getting your Defiant lock to turn sometimes but not others when you press its buttons:
- Try cleaning its sensors with rubbing alcohol and a cotton swab; sometimes, dirt buildup can get between them and cause this problem.
- The lock won’t lock/unlock – If you’re having trouble locking your door after entering a code or using a key, there may be something wrong with either of these components. Try replacing them if necessary; otherwise, check for obstructions in their paths and remove them if possible (for example, doorknobs).
- Unplug the power cord from the wall and remove the batteries from your keypad. As you work on it, this will prevent any potential damage to your lock.
- Take off all of the screws on each side of your door jambs and lift out both jamb covers so that you can access all sides of your door frame.
- Use an Allen wrench or screwdriver to remove both strike plates from their holes in the top and bottom corners of your doorframe. Once removed, check for damage such as loose screws or stripped threads inside of them (which would require replacement).
- Reinstall new strike plates if necessary before replacing both jamb’s covers onto their hinges; remember not to tighten them too much, so they stay secure but not too loose, so they fall off easily!
The Defiant lock Keeps beeping.
- If your Defiant lock keeps beeping, the most likely cause is that you’ve used the wrong user code. Now you can try to change the code on your lock.
- It’s probably because the battery is low. Try removing and replacing the batteries to see if that solves the problem.
- The door doesn’t unlock properly.
The Defiant lock is not opening.
If your Defiant lock is not opening, it’s likely because the battery is dead. To fix this problem:
- Replace the battery: Replace the old batteries with new ones.
- Reset your device: If you’ve already replaced the batteries but are still having difficulties unlocking your door, try resetting your device by pressing down on both buttons for 5 seconds until they stop blinking (this will disable all functions of both devices). Once complete, try unlocking again using either button on each side of both devices.
The Defiant lock can not add a delete user code.
If you can not delete all user codes or add a new user code, please try the following:
- Please ensure you are using the correct programming code.
- Please ensure the programming process is completed in 10 seconds; otherwise, the lock will time out.
- Please ensure the user code in your Defiant lock is not full.
Defiant locks installation instructions
If you have bought a new defiant lock and want to install it yourself, please check the following defiant lock manual.
Also, you can check the following defiant lock installation video:
Defiant lock installation
Defiant keypad lock programming
The defiant keypad electronic door lock programming includes some basic operations, such as changing the master programming code, adding user code, deleting single user code, and deleting all user codes.
For basic defiant keypad lock programming, please check the following Defiant lock set instructions:
1, Press and hold the [SET] button until the unit beeps, then release the [SET] button
2, Enter the current Master Code (6 digits), then press the lock button
3, Please choose the following operation you want:
- Change the existing Master Code: Press the “1”, “0”, and “Lock button” buttons in sequence, then enter the new 6 digits’ master code.
- Add user code: Press “2”, “0”, and “Lock button” buttons in sequence, then enter the new 4-6 digits user code, press the lock button, and enter the same new 4-6 digits user code again.
- Delete single-entry code: Press “3”, “0”, and “Lock button” buttons in sequence, then enter the unwanted User Code (4-6 digits), press the lock button, enter the same unwanted User Code (4-6 digits)again.
- Delete all user codes: Press “4”, “0”, and “Lock button” buttons in sequence.
- Vacation mode: Press “5”, “0”, and “Lock button” buttons in sequence, and then press the “1” button to turn on vacation mode or press the “0” button to turn off vacation mode.
- Volume Control: Press “6”, “0”, and “Lock button” buttons in sequence, and then press the “1” button to turn on volume control or press the “0” button to turn off volume control.
- Auto-lock function: Press “8”, “0”, and “Lock button” buttons in sequence, and then press the “1” button to turn on auto-lock or press the 0 buttons to turn off auto-lock.
4, Finally, Press the lock button, programming successfully.
- The programming process will automatically time out after 10 seconds of inactivity. If you make a mistake during programming, you will have to leave Programming Mode and start over.
- Please change the Master Code after you first time installs your Defiant lock.
- When Vacation Mode is enabled, only the current Master Code (6 digits) can unlock the lock.
Defiant lock manual pdf
To know more about how to program and install Defiant lock, you can check and download its user manual: Defiant lock Installation and Programming User Manual pdf.
How to unlock the defiant lock?
There are a few different ways to unlock a Defiant lock: unlock Defiant lock with user code and unlock with mechanical.
- Unlock defiant lock with user code: If you’re using an electronic keypad Defiant lock, enter your four-digit valid user code or the current master code to unlock your Defiant keypad lock.
- Unlock the defiant lock with a mechanical key: you can use a mechanical key to insert the keyhole and turn it to open the latch.
Defiant locks customer service
If you have any questions or concerns about the Defiant lock or need to speak with a customer service rep, you will have to try to contact their support from Home Depot because Defiant locks are only sold at https://www.homedepot.com/.
For more Defiant lock customer service, please visit https://www.homedepot.com/b/Hardware-Door-Hardware-Door-Locks-Deadbolts/Defiant/N-5yc1vZcjqkZfw.
Defiant locks website
You can not find a website for Defiant locks; you can only find defiant locks from Home Depot.
But maybe you can try this website: https://www.fuhsing.com.tw/; maybe this company produces Defiant locks.
Are Defiant locks any good
Yes, Defiant locks are good.
When it comes to locks, many people are looking for something that’s both affordable and easy to install. The Defiant lock is the perfect product for this type of person.
One thing that makes it so easy to use is that it doesn’t require any batteries or electricity to operate. It simply uses an internal spring mechanism that opens when you insert your key and turns when you twist it—no power is required! This also means there’s no need for a battery replacement or an electrician to come out and fix anything if something goes wrong with the locking mechanism.
Defiant lock factory reset
To factory reset your Defiant locks:
- Open the battery cover
- Remove the batteries.
- Find the reset button.
- Press and hold the SET button while inserting the battery back. Hold the set button until a long beep is heard, followed by a short beep.
- Factory reset success.
Please note: factory reset defiant lock will erase all stored information, including the current Master Code and existing User Codes.
Now we have list almost all Defiant problems and offered related solutions; we hope this defiant lock troubleshooting will help you solve your problem and let your lock work again.
If you have more questions about smart locks, please contact ShineACS Locks at any time.
Other related Smart keypad lock troubleshooting: