The SimpliSafe smart door lock is one of the best locks on the market. It’s affordable, easy to install, and has some of the best customer support.
However, no product is perfect, and there are times when it might break or malfunction. If you’re having trouble with your SimpliSafe smart lock or want to learn more about it, this guide will help!
What is the SimpliSafe smart lock?
The SimpliSafe smart lock is a battery-powered device that turns your existing deadbolt into a smart lock, allowing you to unlock your door with just the push of a button, whether in your hand or on your smartphone.
You can use the SimpliSafe smart lock to secure your home and protect it from intruders. The SimpliSafe smart lock works with the SimpliSafe home security system, designed for people who want a basic but reliable security system.
Why SimpliSafe smart lock popular?
- Easy to set up and use: SimpliSafe smart lock is a DIY door security system that is easy to set up and use. Unlike other home security systems, it doesn’t require professional installation or training. You can install the system yourself in less than an hour and begin protecting your home immediately.
- SimpliSafe smart lock is affordable. Most people don’t want to spend much money on home security but still want protection from intruders and other hazards that could occur inside their homes.
- The SimpliSafe system also comes with features rarely seen in other products: heat sensors (to detect fire), glass breakage sensors (to detect break-ins), panic buttons (to alert police during emergencies), and freeze sensors (to detect when pipes burst).
- Easy to set up and operate: SimpliSafe’s smart locks are a popular choice for DIY security systems because they’re easy to set up and operate, which makes them attractive to people who want an alternative to expensive traditional alarm systems.
- Easy to install: The ease of use starts with the installation process—follow the instructions in your SimpliSafe app, and you’ll be able to set up your smart lock quickly.
Common SimpliSafe smart lock problems and troubleshooting
The SimpliSafe smart keypad door lock is a great way to add smart security to your home. It’s easy to unlock your lock without code, use your smartphone, and give you peace of mind. But, like any other product, some things can go wrong.
Let’s take a look at some common issues you might encounter and some possible solutions to help get your system back up and running again:
SimpliSafe smart lock blinking
If your smart lock is blinking, you may have a problem. If it’s been blinking for more than 30 seconds, it’s time to take action.
- Check the battery: the first course of action is to check the battery; if there is a slow blinking light on the Smart Lock, you need to replace the batteries.
- Check Wi-Fi connection: it could mean your device is not connected to Wi-Fi or has lost its connection. If this is the case, try to connect again and ensure that there are no other devices nearby that might interfere with the signal. Once you have successfully connected to Wi-Fi and established an internet connection, wait a few minutes for the system to update itself.
- Check updates: If that doesn’t work, check that all recent updates are installed using the App Store or Google Play Store app on your mobile device; if not, update them manually as needed (see below).
- Factory reset: If all the above failed, please try to factory reset your SimpliSafe smart lock.
SimpliSafe smart lock not calibrating
If your SimpliSafe smart lock isn’t calibrating, try these tips:
- Make sure that your Bluetooth settings are correct. If the app isn’t connecting to your lock, check that it’s on an appropriate setting for pairing with the device.
- Remove any obstacles between your phone and the lock. Sometimes this will mean moving furniture or walking closer to ensure a better connection between devices.
- Reboot both devices (your phone and smart lock), ensuring they’re charged before trying again. If you still can’t pair them, contact customer service for help.
- If all failed, please try to Calibrate the Smart Lock again.
SimpliSafe smart lock not connecting
If you’re having trouble getting your SimpliSafe smart lock to connect, try these suggestions:
- Ensure that the lock is paired with your home’s Wi-Fi connection. To do this, open the SimpliSafe Android or iOS app and tap “My Home” at the bottom of the screen. Then tap on “Lock” in the panel that appears to see its status next to each device listed there.
- Check the batteries in your keypad: If your keypad is not responding, it may be because the batteries are low. Make sure you replace them with fresh new ones and test them again.
- If the power light on your lock isn’t on, unplug and plug batteries back in to ensure it’s getting electricity.
- Check for any loose wires or loose connections on the outside of the device. If necessary, tighten those with pliers or a screwdriver to ensure they’re secure.
SimpliSafe smart lock not responding
If your SimpliSafe Smart Lock isn’t responding or working properly, it might be time to troubleshoot before calling a locksmith!
- Make sure the power button on the back of the device is firmly pressed
- Check that you have Wi-Fi connectivity by going into Settings > Wi-Fi on your iOS device
- Make sure that Bluetooth is enabled in Settings > General > Bluetooth on your iOS device
- The smart lock won’t respond or isn’t working properly after updating the newest version of the SimpliSafe app. This problem is often caused by the wrong settings in your phone’s Bluetooth menu, so redo them and see if they fix things. If that doesn’t work, restarting your phone should do the trick.
SimpliSafe smart lock does not work properly.
If your SimpliSafe smart lock isn’t working properly or is giving you trouble, several common issues could be causing this issue.
- Ensure your Wi-Fi has not been disconnected or turned off on your phone or tablet. This can be checked in the Settings menu of your device (under Wi-Fi).
- Verify that you’re actually pressing on the button for “Lock” and not just touching it with your finger.
- It’s a good idea to check the battery. The battery is easy to remove and replace—press down on the two tabs on either side of the keypad, then slide out.
- Check that there’s no corrosion on the contacts inside and clean them if necessary before sliding a new battery into place.
- If the lock is blinking green, your door isn’t closed completely. The lock will start beeping until you push the handle in to ensure it’s latched.
SimpliSafe smart lock not locking
SimpliSafe smart lock is not locking or unlocking; it could be because:
- Make sure all of your devices are connected to SimpliSafe’s cellular network. If there is no cellular connection between the device and the control panel or base station, that device will not function properly.
- The batteries are dead. Your keypad requires 3 AA batteries. To replace them: remove the battery cover from the back of your keypad, insert new batteries into the compartment and then replace the cover. If this doesn’t work, try resetting your keypad door lock. Unplugging it for 30 seconds before plugging it back in should do the trick.
- Installation issue. There’s an issue with either your door itself or its installation that needs to be fixed by a professional locksmith before you can use this product successfully.
SimpliSafe smart lock not pairing
If your SimpliSafe smart lock is not pairing, you can take a few steps to try and fix the issue.
- Make sure that your phone is on the same network as the lock. If it’s not, then it might not be able to pair with the lock. To do this, open up an app like Wi-Fi analyzer or iNet on your iOS device and look for “Simplisafe” as one of the networks under Available Networks.
- Ensure that both devices are close enough to each other – within a few feet away will usually suffice.
SimpliSafe keypad drains the battery.
Suppose you’ve been using your system for months without any issues but suddenly notice that your keypad battery is significantly lower than usual. In that case, this could be because there’s something wrong with one or more of the following:
- The battery contacts inside the lock are dirty or corroded
- Unplugging the keypad won’t hurt (but it might not be necessary either). Or try lowering the volume and brightness of your smartphone or tablet display.
- You can also turn off all calls and text message notifications since those will drain more power than silent alarms.
- If all else fails, consider getting an external battery pack while you’re away from home so that you’ll always have enough juice left over for emergencies!
SimpliSafe lock is not working after the update.
Try these solutions if you’re having trouble with your SimpliSafe smart lock after updating.
- Make sure your Wi-Fi is on and connected to the same network that your lock uses. You can find this by going to the Settings tab in the SimpliSafe app, selecting Devices & Sensors > Add Device, or using your device’s Wi-Fi settings menu (for iPhones, go to Settings > Wi-Fi).
- Check your version: You can check what app version you have by going to the Home screen and tapping My Account.
- Make sure Bluetooth is turned on: To connect a device via Bluetooth, make sure Bluetooth is turned on in Settings > General > Bluetooth for iOS devices; For Android™devices go into Settings > Connected Devices > Security & Location, where you should also make sure “Bluetooth” is checked within Wi-Fi network settings.
- Reset SimpliSafe Smart Lock: Restart your smartphone or tablet by holding the Power button for 10 seconds until it restarts and release (you may need to remove any cases first). If that doesn’t work, try restarting both devices again.
SimpliSafe smart lock update
When you purchase a SimpliSafe Smart Lock and are ready to let it work with your existing security system, you must update your smart lock first. And SimpliSafe Smart Lock updating is easy from SimpliSafe APP. to update your SimpliSafe smart lock:
- CONNECT SIMPLISAFE TO WI-FI
- Add SimpliSafe smart lock
- Press ‘Menu’ on your Keypad
- Navigate to ‘System Settings’
- Navigate to ‘Wi-Fi’
- Choose your Wi-Fi network
- Enter your Wi-Fi password
- Wait for the success message. Wi-Fi should now be connected.
- Check your keypad for updates. If none pop up in the next few hours
After finishing SimpliSafe Smart Lock updating, you can disconnect your Wi-Fi network.
SimpliSafe smart lock battery replacement
SimpliSafe smart lock battery replacement is a common issue you may face with your SimpliSafe smart lock. There are many reasons why your SimpliSafe smart lock battery might be low or dead. You can replace the batteries of the SimpliSafe smart lock by following the steps mentioned below:
- First, remove the battery cover from the interior assembly by pulling it down. Then you can see the batteries.
- Move out old batties and place new batteries back.
- Slide the battery cover up until it clicks into place.
Also, you can check this Simplisafe video to know how to change the battery for your SimpliSafe smart lock:
SimpliSafe smart lock battery replacement
How do I know if the Smart Lock has a low battery?
- Your smartphone will send you a low battery notification.
- Your SimpliSafe system will send you an email with a low battery notification.
- Your SimpliSafe smart lock will blink light, and a message on your keypad will appear under your alerts.
How to reset the SimpliSafe smart lock?
If you’re having the following trouble with your SimpliSafe smart lock, you can try to reset the SimpliSafe smart lock:
- The calibration gets stuck when you try to add your system’s lock.
- Your SimpliSafe smart lock won’t calibrate
- Your SimpliSafe smart lock is not responding
To factory reset your SimpliSafe smart lock:
- Press and hold down the pairing button on the lock, located above the batteries once the front cover has been removed, for 20 seconds
- All three lights will flash to confirm the lock is reset
- If you are not seeing any status lights, verify the batteries are fully secure or try a new set of AA batteries
After factory resetting your SimpliSafe smart lock, you will have to reinstall and set up your SimpliSafe smart lock again.
How to set up SimpliSafe smart lock?
The SimpliSafe smart lock is the best on the market today and can be installed in minutes. It’s also easy to set up and use.
- Press the Menu button on the KeyPad and enter your Master PIN when prompted
- Select Devices and then select Add Device
- Select the Smart Lock option
- Choose Yes to confirm the Smart Lock has been installed on your door, and then wait for Base Station to recognize the lock.
- Press the test button on the lock—the same one located above the batteries once the front cover is removed—and the lights should flash while pairing to your system.
- Set a name for your lock
- When prompted, close your door by turning the lock to one of its end positions—the point where you can no longer turn it—and choose Done.
- The lock will automatically turn to the other end position, and the lights will flash to calibrate
- Choose Yes to confirm the door is unlocked, and then select Yes or No when asked if there is an Entry Sensor on the door.
- When you see the confirmation message on your KeyPad screen, select OK to return to your KeyPad menu
How to calibrate SimpliSafe smart lock?
If you’re having trouble with your SimpliSafe smart lock, you may need to calibrate it. Calibrating the lock is important to ensure that the lock works correctly:
- Ensure SimpliSafe smart lock is powered on and has a functioning battery.
- Bring the KeyPad close to the lock.
- Recalibrate the lock through the Keypad: Menu > Devices > Lock > Recalibrate
- When prompted by the keypad to “close your door,” the user must manually turn the lock to a locked position, then press “done.”
- The Smart Lock will turn three times during calibration.
- If the calibration is successful, the keypad will ask, “check, your door. Is it UNLOCKED?”. If the door is unlocked, the user should choose “Yes.”
- The user will see a “congratulations” message and can press “OK” to exit the flow.
- The lock is now calibrated.
How to remove SimpliSafe smart lock?
- Remove the battery.
- Remove the screws around the perimeter of your smart lock.
- Use a flathead screwdriver to pry off the case and remove any wires. This may be difficult if you have an older model with a hardwired system; in this case, consult an electrician for help.
- Lift on one side of the electronics board and remove it from its slot in your door or wall—if applicable—to access the battery compartment.
SimpliSafe smart lock installation
Can I install the SimpliSafe smart lock myself?
Yes! You can install the SimpliSafe smart lock yourself, but it’s important to follow the instructions carefully.
The most important thing is to test your locks after installation and ensure they work properly before leaving them alone.
We also recommend using an electric drill with a screwdriver bit instead of hand tools for this project because there are many screws involved throughout the installation process.
To install your SimpliSafe smart lock installation video.
SimpliSafe smart lock manual
If you’re familiar with the SimpliSafe smart lock, you’ll know it’s a great product. But if you get stuck while setting up your door lock or have questions about how the device works, this SimpliSafe smart lock manual will help you figure out what to do next.
SimpliSafe smart lock support
If you are looking for the best SimpliSafe smart lock support in the market, then you visit the SimpliSafe support center for help: SimpliSafe smart lock help center.
I hope this SimpliSafe smart lock troubleshooting article will help you solve most SimpliSafe smart lock problems and take your lock back to work.
If you have any more questions, please contact ShineACS Locks.