Schlage Sense BE479 is a great smart deadbolt lock that allows you to control your home’s access with your Android or iPhone. All you need is the app and Schlage Sense WiFi Adapter. You can connect it with other devices like Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant, but sometimes things go wrong.
This Schlage Sense troubleshooting guide will list common problems and solutions to get your Schlage Sense back up and running.
What is Schlage sense lock?
Schlage Sense BE479 is an intelligent door lock that can be controlled anywhere, whether at home or on the go. You can unlock the door with your smartphone after installing the Schlage Sense WiFi Adapter app.
Schlage Sense BE479 is compatible with Amazon Alexa, Apple HomeKit, and Google Assistant, so you can remotely lock your front door and check its status with just the sound of your voice through Amazon Alexa-enabled devices such as the Echo Dot or Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote.
What are the advantages of Schlage sense lock?
Schlage Sense is a smart lock that uses WiFi to communicate with the cloud, and you can use it to control your home’s locks from anywhere. It has a lot of advantages over traditional locks.
- Easy to install. You can attach it to your current deadbolt in about 20 minutes!
- Easy to use: tap the keypad on any door with a Schlage Sense setup, and it will unlock automatically!
- Easy to maintain and replace: Schlage Sense is a smart lock that’s easy to maintain and replace. The battery life lasts up to 3 years, so you don’t have to worry about constantly recharging or replacing the batteries. It also has a low-battery alert, so you know when your batteries are running low and need replacing before they fail.
- Easy to Setup: Setting up Schlage Sense is simple: all you need is an iOS or Android device with Bluetooth 4.0 capabilities (or higher), an internet connection, and the Schlage Connect app on your phone or tablet.
Don’t know how to choose between Schlage Sense, Schlage Encode, and Schlage Connect? Check this article: Schlage Sense vs. Encode vs. Connect: What’s The Difference and How To Choose?
Schlage sense lock parts
- Alarm Speaker: This speaker will alert you if your door is open. If it doesn’t make noise, replace it.
- Bolt: The bolt is the part that locks and unlocks the door. It will extend and retract when you enter the user code and rotate the thumb turn.
- Cylinder: The Schlage Sense cylinder is used to unlock keys in emergencies.
- The touchscreen allows you to enter codes into the lock and lock door.
- Outside Schlage Button: This button lets lock the deadbolt with 1-touch locking. And you will need this button to program your Schlage Sense lock.
- Thumbturn: It is used to lock and unlock your door from the inside.
- Inside Schlage Button: Just used to silence the alarm.
Common Schlage sense problems and troubleshooting
Schlage Sense BE479 is a product of the Schlage company that has been around for decades. The system has become a favorite among many homeowners who want to make their homes more secure and safe without spending thousands on new locks.
But what will you do if your Schlage lock is not working properly? Here are some common issues and troubleshooting tips for this smart lock system:
Schlage Sense not connecting to the app/not receiving notifications:
If you have trouble connecting your Schlage Sense lock to the app, you may have issues with the WiFi connection. Here are some things to check:
- Make sure you’re using the latest version of the Schlage Sense App
- Make sure your lock is connected to WiFi and within range of your router; if not, move closer or place an extender on top of your router and then connect the lock via WiFi.
- You can change networks manually by going into Settings > Network on your phone and reconnecting to a new network (you’ll probably have to enter a password).
- Check if there’s an issue with your router (and try resetting it)
- If these fixes don’t work, contact Schlage Support
Schlage Sense Deadbolt not locking completely when using physical key:
If you’ve recently installed your deadbolt but find it isn’t locking completely when using a physical key, this could be caused by debris in between components inside the casing (such as dirt).
Try removing any foreign objects like rocks or sticks from the inside casing before reattempting the operation again–this should fix the problem instantly!
Schlage sense programming code is not working.
If you are having trouble with the Schlage Sense programming code not working, try these quick troubleshooting tips:
- Verify that you’re using the correct programming code for your lock.
- Make sure all your devices are powered on and connected to WiFi. If one of them isn’t properly connected to WiFi, it will prevent the entire system from working correctly.
- Factory reset your Schlage lock and then change the default programming code to set a new programming code.
Schlage Sense will not connect to the home WiFi network
- Make sure you are connecting your app with a 2.4GHz WiFi network
- If your Schlage sense doesn’t connect to home WiFi networks with 2.4GHz connections, check for nearby wireless devices that may be using a lot of bandwidth, like video game consoles or streaming media boxes.
Schlage Sense is not working after the battery change.
If your Schlage Sense is not working after a battery change, there are several things you can do.
- First, double-check that the batteries are in place and secure. The sensor cannot read the code properly and activate if they’re not securely placed.
- Either there wasn’t enough power left in an old battery when replacing it with a new one, or there was too much power left in an old battery when replacing it with a new one. To fix this issue, replace both batteries at once and see if this solves our problem right away!
- If that’s not the issue, try resetting your lock, Then test it again!
For more information about why your Schlage Sense locks not working after the battery change, please check this article: Schlage Lock Not Working After Battery Change, What To Do?
Schlage sense not pairing
- If your Schlage Sense BE479 doesn’t connect to the app, check to ensure that it’s paired with the WiFi network in your home. If it isn’t, try deleting the app from your phone and reinstalling it.
- Make sure that the battery is fully charged.
- Try unpairing from your smartphone app and then pairing up again. This can fix many issues with Schlage Sense locks where they stop responding or don’t connect properly with smartphones.
You can restore your Schlage Sense to its factory settings using the reset button on the back of the lock. This will clear any user codes stored on your device but won’t erase any customizations you’ve made in the app.
The Schlage Sense keypad is not working.
If your Schlage Sense keypad is not working properly, there are several things you can do to troubleshoot the issue before contacting support:
- Ensure the batteries are fresh and in place (if they aren’t already).
- Check if anything is blocking the signal between your keypad and its hub unit by covering up any cracks or holes with tape or Blu-Tack. If this helps get things running again, something may have been interfering with signals).
Schlage sense homekit not responding
If you’re having trouble getting your Schlage Sense to connect with HomeKit, here are some steps you can try:
- Reboot your Schlage Sense. Hold the lock/unlock button until it’s fully unlocked, and then re-lock it. Ensure you’ve entered your WiFi network information correctly in the Home app, including password security settings.
- Ensure that devices on your home network (like a router) aren’t blocking communication between Schlage Sense and Apple’s servers.
Schlage sense not locking
If you find that your Schlage Sense is not locking, the most likely cause of the problem is an issue with the lock itself.
- Check to see if your Schlage Sense’s battery isn’t dead.
- Ensure that nothing is blocking one of its sensors or cameras from detecting movement in front of it (such as furniture).
- Try resetting your Schlage Sense by holding its power button for ten seconds and then releasing it again after ten seconds have passed.
Schlage sense lock unreachable
If you cannot reach your lock, there are a few things to try.
- Make sure the app is up-to-date on your device. This will ensure that any recent bug fixes, performance improvements, and additional features have been applied.
- Close the app and reopen it. This can help refresh the connection between the lock and phone/tablet.
- Check for any home network activity or other devices connected to your WiFi network,k as these may interfere with Schlage Sense’s ability to connect over Bluetooth LE (BLE).
- Your phone lost connection with the WiFi network.
- The Schlage Sense app is closed in the background of your phone
- Low battery on either the lock or your smartphone
Schlage sense WiFi adapter troubleshooting
Schlage Sense BE479 is a HomeKit-enabled door lock that can be unlocked with your iPhone or Apple Watch. It means you can unlock a keypad door lock without the code but by using your smartphone.
However, if you want to access your Schlage Sense remotely via an internet connection, like before leaving home and while at work, you will need the Schlage Sense WiFi Adapter. This device plugs into your router and communicates with your Schlage Sense over WiFi.
If you have problems with WIFI connecting:
- Please ensure the adapter is connected to your WiFi network correctly, and try to place your Schlage Sense WiFi Adapter close to your router.
- Ensure that you are using a 2.4GHhz WIFI network.
- Try to Reset your adapter by pressing and holding the reset button.
- Signal Strength: Your adapter may fail to connect to the lock when it fails to find any stable connection nearby. Try shifting your WiFi router towards the adapter to resolve this issue.
To know more about the Schlage Sense WiFi adapter setup, please check this article from the Schlage website: https://www.schlage.com/blog/categories/2017/11/schlage-sense-wi-fi-adapter-set-up.html.
Schlage sense setup
Schlage Sense is a smart lock that works with HomeKit. The product can be used with other products, such as the Schlage Sense app or Apple TV. This guide will walk you through how to set up your Schlage Sense so you can start using it in your home.
- Downloading the app: You must download the “Schlage Sense” app from either Apple’s App Store or Google Play before setting up your lock.
- Enable Bluetooth from your phone: open up Settings on your iPhone/iPad (or Android). Scroll down until you find Bluetooth and tap on it once for pairing mode to become available for both devices simultaneously
- Pair your lock with the “Schlage Sense” app： Pair your lock using the Schlage Sense app for easy management.
- Add access codes to your lock: After adding your lock to your home, use the app to add codes to unlock your lock. Tap on the “people” icon, then “Access Codes.”
- Configure the alarm and other lock features: The Schlage Sense Smart Deadbolt includes many features you can configure using the Schlage Sense app.
- Send virtual keys: Share access with administrators and guests in the Schlage Sense app by tapping the “people” icon, then “Virtual Keys.” If you set up your lock with Apple HomeKit, you will see “HomeKit Users.”
To know more about Schlage Sense setup and installation, you can also check this youtube video from Schlage:
How To Install and Setup Your Schlage Sense Smart Deadbolt
- You must ensure Bluetooth is turned on to pair your Schlage Sense with the app.
- Once you connect your Schlage Sense lock to your app, the manual programming functions will be disabled, and any access codes will be deleted.
- Be sure to accept any available firmware upgrades. The app will alert you to upgrades and walk you through the process.
Schlage sense factory reset
Schlage Sense BE479 features a factory reset without a programming code option that can be utilized to re-program your device. To factory reset your Schlage Sense lock:
- Disconnect the batteries.
- Press and hold the Outside Schlage Button.
- While holding the Outside Schlage Button, reconnect the batteries.
- Release the Outside Schlage Button. If you are moving the lock to a new door, install the lock on that door before continuing.
- To check that the lock was reset, press the Outside Schlage Button and enter one of the default access codes.
- If the reset is successful, the lock will perform a setup routine. Wait until the bolt stops moving. The reset and setup are complete.
Schlage sense manual
If you’re looking for Schlage Sense BE479 troubleshooting information, it’s easy and helpful to have the manual handy. The Schlage Sense smart lock manual is a PDF that can be downloaded from the Schlage website and contains instructions on troubleshooting common Sense problems. Also, you can download them here:
I hope this Schlage Sense troubleshooting article has helped you understand the common issues affecting your Schlage Sense Smart Lock. Please contact ShineACS Locks for further assistance if you’re still having trouble.
More articles about Schlage lock troubleshooting: