Kwikset Halo only can be opened with the key After changing the battery and working normally for three days
I installed the Kwikset Halo a few months ago. I have changed the batteries three times already. The most recent is Panasonic batteries.
The Kwikset Halo opened and closed without problems, only for three days. After that, it still locks but doesn’t open, and I need the key to open the door. Please tell me what went wrong and what I need to do to make it work. Thank you.
Best Answered by
If your Kwikset Halo smart lock is only operational with a key and goes offline after working normally for three days post-battery change, the issue could be related to network connectivity, power, or a software glitch. Here’s how to troubleshoot these issues:
- Check Network Connection: The lock may go offline due to weak or unstable WiFi signal strength. Check your router’s location and signal strength, or try resetting your router. Additionally, ensure that your lock is within range of your WiFi router and that no obstacles might interfere with the signal.
- Mechanical alignment: Misalignment can cause the bolt difficulty extending and retracting. This might be why your lock is not unlocking. You can check this by manually locking and unlocking the door with the thumb turn when the door is open. If the thumb turn is hard to rotate, there may be an alignment issue between the door and frame. You may need to adjust the lock installation or the door frame alignment.
- Battery Power: Even though you’ve recently changed the battery, you must ensure you use new, high-quality alkaline batteries. Inferior quality batteries might not provide enough power, causing the lock to malfunction and go offline.
- Software Update: Ensure your lock has the latest firmware updates. Sometimes, a firmware update might be available that can fix certain issues. You can usually check for updates in the Kwikset app.
- App Issues: Try to reinstall the Kwikset app on your phone; sometimes, it might be a software glitch on the app side. Also, make sure that you have the latest version of the app.
- Reset the Lock: If the previous steps fail, you might need to reset your lock to factory settings. Please note that you will lose all custom settings and codes and have to reconfigure them again.
- Contact Customer Support: If none of these steps help, it would be best to contact Kwikset’s customer service. They can guide you through specific troubleshooting steps or discuss possible repair or replacement under warranty if necessary.
Remember, if you’re frequently experiencing issues with your smart lock, it’s important to have a backup plan, such as spare keys or another entry method, to avoid getting locked out of your home.