Electronic deadbolt is not locking properly and seems to be turning in the wrong direction
Why won’t my deadbolt lock by using the keypad? I type the code in, and the lock seems like it is turning in the opposite direction it’s supposed to.
Best Answered by
If your electronic deadbolt is not locking properly or seems to be turning in the wrong direction, it could be due to a few different issues:
- Incorrect door Handing: Door handing refers to the direction in your door swings and can affect the direction your deadbolt turns. Most electronic locks automatically adjust to your door’s handling when installed and powered on. If the deadbolt is turning the wrong way, it’s possible the lock incorrectly determined your door’s handling. Now, you will have to reset your lock and process door handing again. Check your lock’s user manual to see if you can manually adjust the door handling.
- Keypad Malfunction: If the keypad isn’t responding or only working intermittently, it could be due to low batteries, a defective keypad, or the lock’s firmware needing an update. Try changing the batteries first, then check the manufacturer’s website or call their customer service for further support if the problem persists.
- Mechanical Obstruction: If the deadbolt is having difficulty turning in the lock, it’s possible there could be a mechanical obstruction. Ensure the hole in the door frame for the deadbolt is large enough and that the lock is correctly aligned with the hole when the door is closed.
- Low Batteries: Low power can cause the motor in electronic locks to behave unpredictably. If you haven’t already, try replacing the batteries in the lock.
- Faulty Motor: If none of the above steps work, the motor in the lock could be defective or damaged. If you suspect this is the case, you might need to contact the lock manufacturer’s customer service or consider replacing the lock.
Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions and guidelines when adjusting your lock. Hiring a professional locksmith might be best if you’re unsure about something or uncomfortable making adjustments.
For more keypad deadbolt lock problems and troubleshooting, please check this article: Keypad Door Lock Not Working: Details Troubleshooting Guide.