Besides the room’s advanced amenities and luxurious appeal, cleanliness and sanitation have always been the top priority among guests.
For this, many hotels prefer and include hotel hygiene among their top priorities to ensure the health and safety of all individuals.
What is hotel hygiene?
Hygiene is maintaining and promoting good health by people. It includes cleaning the surrounding spaces to break the chain of infection.
Hygiene in the hotel industry means maintaining high standards of cleanliness and appearance of hotel areas such as rooms, lobby, washrooms, and kitchen.
In addition, hotel hygiene standards emphasize maintaining hotel staff’s hygiene, which will prevent the spread of infection and create a good impression on guests during the pandemic.
Why is hygiene important in the hotel industry?
Maintaining top-notch hotel hygiene standards is very important, primarily through members who interact with guests, prepare their food and clean hotel spaces.
Using hotel hygiene tips helps break the infection chain and prevent the spread of disease. It’s not just crucial for making an impression; the risk of neglecting it can be huge.
Hotel sanitation procedures don’t just ensure the health and safety of both staff and guests but also create a unique environment. Guests feel satisfied and pampered at the same time with ideal hotel hygiene.
What are the hotel hygiene standards?
These are the standards of hotel hygiene deemed most reliable in controlling the infection.
It includes hand hygiene, surface disinfection and cleaning, reprocessing of medical devices, and protective accessories.
- Hand Hygiene– Mostly, pathogens are transmitted through hands. Therefore, proper care and maintaining hand hygiene are critical. It prevents the staff and the customer from getting an infection. It includes hand disinfection, use of protective gloves, etc.
- Surface Hygiene– Usually, pathogens persist on natural objects for days to months. Hence, proper disinfection of the surfaces being touched by the customer or the staff is essential in preventing infection.
- Use of Protective Accessories– Accessories are also one of the areas where pathogens develop and grow; hence while carrying out hygiene procedures in the hotel, it is essential to use protective accessories like aprons, head caps, gloves, etc.
- Moreover, hotels can also introduce contactless RFID hotel lock systems. These advanced locks allow you to share codes via phones; hence, pathogens are not transmitted through hands or objects. Get in touch with ShineACS locks for advanced and hotel hygienic lock solutions.
What are the hotel hygiene and sanitation procedures?
Following correct hotel sanitation procedures is very important to prevent cross-contamination and thus avert the spread of disease. Hence, equipping your hotel with hygiene standards in the food industry involves the following essential steps:
1, Inspection, Identification, Equipment Breakdown
Before beginning the process, inspect the area and identify the issues that need particular attention. You must look for needed hotel hygiene products and methods for disinfection.
2, Sweeping and Flushing
The first step in hotel hygiene and sanitation involves removing solid and large particles using brooms and scrapers. This is followed by flushing the surface to remove solid particles before cleaning.
Hygiene in a hotel involves cleaning through detergents for the surfaces. While cleaning a dry facility or equipment, you should use alcohol and give it time to evaporate.
Washing is carried out after applying and scrubbing the detergent to ensure all the buttery texture is washed out. It’s a necessary hotel sanitation procedure and should be carried out correctly. If the detergent remains on the floor, it will neutralize the sanitizers.
Once cleaning is done, the next step on your hotel hygiene checklists is actual hotel sanitation procedures. Everything is sanitized using heat or chemical sanitizer. Commonly used sanitizers are chlorine-based, sodium hypochlorite, etc. You can select from any suitable hotel hygiene products.
6, Rinse/air dry
Sanitizers are easy to use in your hotel hygiene procedures as all you have to do is leave on or rinse off. If left on, the surface/ object is air-dried, and its effectiveness will stay long. On the other hand, if it’s rinsed off, the effect will also be persistent. Choose the sanitizer as per hotel hygiene standards.
includes inspecting the area properly to notice all the details and determining the visual residues. You must understand which areas need more attention and further execute hotel hygiene and sanitation activities.
Hygiene standards in the kitchen
Some hotel hygiene tips that help maintain hygiene standards in the food industry come through the kitchen. They should be followed regularly and are as follows:
- Wash your Hands Frequently– Washing hands is a must in the kitchen as dirty hands can develop germs and bacteria. Your hotel kitchen hygiene rules must include this one as a top priority.
- Cook Meals Thoroughly– Proper cooking of food, especially non-vegetarian dishes. Uncooked food can contain bacteria leading to food poisoning, so you don’t want your hotel to suffer the loss of guests due to cases of food poisoning.
- Ensure Proper Food Storage– Always store food items in a refrigerator by covering them properly. Besides, use them before the expiry date and don’t use food items that cross this date. The fridge should be cleaned once or twice a month to maintain the hotel kitchen hygiene standards and prevent bad smells.
- Wipe Down Counter-tops– After every use, clean the counter-tops to prevent the build-up of bacteria. It can be done using extra-absorbent kitchen paper or with a neat cloth used only for this purpose.
- Use a Good Dust Bin– Hygiene in the hotel is maintained using a dustbin with a covering lid. To maintain hotel kitchen hygiene, the dustbins should be cleaned regularly. It will prevent bacterial growth in decomposing food.
- Avoid Cross-Contamination- Vegetables, meat, fish, and fruits should be chopped on different chopping boards to prevent cross-contamination. Furthermore, chopping boards should be labeled to avoid any confusion.
- Clean the Sink Thoroughly-Hygiene standards in the food industry involve a standardizing procedure, including cleaning sinks daily. It should be done through disinfectant and hot water and scrubbing the surface to improve hygiene.
How do you maintain hygiene in a hotel kitchen?
Maintaining hotel hygiene standards in the kitchen is essential to ensure hygiene in the hotel industry.
- Including Bins– Dustbinsin the kitchen should be carefully placed. They should be adequately covered, and trash should be cleaned regularly.
- Correct Food Storage– Whether it’s non-veg or veg food, the eatables should be stored appropriately with adequate temperature. You must also ensure leftover food is stored correctly.
- Sterilize Food Equipment: Though hotel hygiene is maintained after ensuring proper sanitation, you must not forget that all kitchen utensils should be sterilized.
- Avoid Touching Cooked Food– Cooked food should always be served with spoons and never be touched with hands to prevent contamination.
How to improve hotel hygiene?
Creating the right mix of environments for your guests is of utmost importance. It is because bad experiences can impact customer loyalty and result in loss of hotel business.
Entrance plays a crucial role as customers’ experience begins when they enter the hotel. Its hygiene can be maintained by ensuring hotel sanitation procedures on hotel floors.
Your hotel hygiene checklist should also be user-friendly and have lovely embellishments. Furthermore, ensure to offer hand sanitizers to guests during their entry and exit from the hotel.
Cleaning alone will not remove all bacteria. You can introduce some contact-less service concepts for activities like opening room locks, serving food, and adding sanitation for in-room objects like a remote, tabletop, and other things.
In addition, using toilet seat cleaners along with pleasant scents can further improve hotel hygiene.
Hotel hygiene standards must be strict for leisure areas like pools, gyms, and spas. Ensuring the proper supply of hand soaps and paper towels in these areas should be enforced.
Besides, providing hand and surface sanitizer in meeting rooms and using hotel hygiene products on communal desks, door handles, and telephones.
Hotel Hygiene Tips
Hotel hygiene plays a significant role in the hotel industry. Hence, it should be appropriately carried out and maintained. Here are a few hotel hygiene tips that help in preserving hotel hygiene:
- Periodically review the cleaning regime for disinfection of infrequently touched areas.
- Carry out disinfection with standard disinfectant.
- They are ensuring re-usable bins that are entirely covered and cleaned daily. They should clean spillage immediately.
- Wash, disinfect, and clean bins and their chambers when necessary.
- Licensed contractors should remove daily waste from hotels.
- Staff should cover their mouth with tissue paper in case of sneezing/coughing and dispose of it afterward.
- It ensures an adequate supply of toilet paper, paper towels, hand dryers, and liquid soaps.
- Make sure the toilet flushing apparatus is appropriately working.
- Sanitary pipes and water seals should not be dried out.
- Disinfecting objects in the washroom such as water taps, seats and cover flaps, washbasins, buttons, and switches regularly.
- Hotel hygiene can be maintained by ensuring exhaust fans work correctly during working hours.
- Floor blowers are only used to dry toilet floors when closed from public usage.
- Before and after carrying out hygiene procedures, staff should always use hand sanitizers using suitable gloves and face masks.
What do hotel hygiene products have?
Various hotel hygiene products used for cleaning hotel areas and surfaces area are as follows:
- Cleaning Tools: Spray bottles, rubber gloves, broom and dustpan, sponges, toothbrush, toilet brush, anti-bacterial wipes, duster, vacuum cleaners, trash bags, paper towels, carpet cleaner, microfiber cloths, and dust mops, including hotel hygiene products.
- Cleaning Products: All-purpose cleaner, glass cleaner, daily shower cleaner, dish soap, dish-washing detergent, furniture spray, oven cleaners, scrubbing bubbles, carpet, and upholstery spot cleaner are some products per hotel hygiene standards.
- Laundry Products: Your hotel hygiene checklist should include laundry products like detergent, stain treater, fabric softener, bleach, oxi-clean, lint trap, etc.
- Toilet Amenities: This toilet supply includes shampoo, lotions, shower cap, body wash, the face shop, dental kit, shaving kit, slippers, and toilet roll.
What are the personal hygiene requirements in the hotel industry?
In the hotel industry, the “personal hygiene” term is used, which means prevention, protection, and destruction of harmful bacteria to prevent contamination and spread of infection.
Follow these tips to have a polluted-free surface:
- Always wash your hands by rubbing them thoroughly, then rinse them underwater.
- Use boiled water and disinfect soap.
- Use a clean nail brush to clean the nails.
- Dry hand using a clean towel or hot air dryer.
Pay special attention to personal habits during working hours:
- Do not spit, cough, or sneeze in public areas and wash your hands afterward.
- Do not smoke in public places.
- Do not use your uniform to wipe your hands
- Do not leave waste materials lying on the ground.
- Maintain a daily routine for personal cleanliness.
Hands should always be washed after the following:
- After using the toilet, before coming on duty.
- After sneezing or boiling your nose.
- After carrying dirty equipment, papers, etc.
How to develop a daily personal hotel hygiene routine:
- Take a bath or shower daily.
- Brush your teeth twice a day.
- Change socks and underclothing every day.
- Wash hair frequently and always keep strands trimmed and well combed.
- Keep fingernails short and clean; avoid excessive makeup, perfumes, and nail varnish.
How do hotels keep clean and hygienic during a pandemic?
Cleanliness and hygiene go hand in hand; it becomes necessary to maintain them daily. Further, maintenance is crucial to standardize hygiene in the hotel industry.
As a covid pandemic increases daily, proper staff hygiene has also become essential to preventing its spread.
Following are the steps which can be taken. These are as follows:
- Highlight Hotel Sanitation Procedures and Frequencies include disinfecting and thoroughly cleaning the area where a person has tested positive within 24 hours and planning how to clean and disinfect them properly.
- Provide Necessary Essentials– Cater your guests with proper disposable masks, gloves, and PPE kits while performing procedures per the hotel hygiene checklist. Keep a regular check on the supply of hand sanitizers and place them at entry and exit points.
- Using Digital Payment/Lock Technologies-During Covid-19, the government recommended avoiding contact between people, introducing cashless payment methods, and maintaining proper social distancing protocols. While adding digital payments, hotels can also introduce intelligent lock systems by ShineACS Locks.
- Reevaluating Chemical Cleaners– Always check on stocks of chemical disinfectants and use vacuums to improve the indoor air quality through your hotel hygiene products.
- They planned Cleaning-Divide people into teams for cleaning purposes to have efficient sanitation of areas and inspect them afterward while ensuring safety measures.
- Implement Colour-Coded Cleaning Solutions- Using color-coded transparent bottles will help keep your liquid hotel hygiene products. Moreover, you can ensure hygiene in the hotel by adding colors to different sanitizers and disinfectants.
- Invest in Proper Training– Teach workers about proper cleaning procedures while maintaining safety precautions and utilizing safety equipment to prevent covid spread.
To sum up, it is understood that the hotel industry is once such a sector where “hotel hygiene” plays an essential role in preventing the spread of infection and increasing business.
Today, hygiene is a top priority among customers, and you should not take it lightly. During this Covid-19 pandemic, your hotel staff must take proper care of themselves by providing the best service and following safety precautions.
Make your hotel premises safe and reduce contact as much as possible. Use advanced lock systems by ShineACS Locks, the exclusive lock system supplier.
Get in touch for effective and technically-sound lock systems for your contact-free hotel solutions.