If you’ve been locked out of your home or office, you know the sinking feeling of realizing your only way in is to break a window.
But if you have access to some simple tools, there’s an easy solution. All intelligent electronic door locks—the kind that requires a key card or code—are designed with a fail-safe mechanism for just such an occasion. The trick is knowing how to use this mechanism and having the right tools.
This article will show you how to open an electronic door lock without the key!
What is an electronic door lock?
An electronic door lock is a device installed on the door to control access to a room or building. It is mainly used to replace traditional mechanical keys or add automated unlocking and locking.
It usually consists of an electric lock controlled by buttons, switches, or remote control devices. It may also include other features such as keypads for inputting codes and motion detectors that detect when someone has entered the area in which they are installed. Electronic door locks are used in hotels, schools, hotels, hospitals, and many other public places where security is an important consideration.
There are many electronic door locks, such as electromagnetic locks, electronic strikes, passive electronic locks, programmable locks, electronic deadbolts, and latches.
What is an electronic door lock key?
An electronic door lock key is a kind of electronic key. Electronic door lock keys improve over traditional key-based access control systems because they’re easier to use and more secure than conventional methods like passwords or passphrases. They also provide better data protection because they can encrypt the information before it’s transmitted over a network connection between two computers.
Many types of keys are used for electronic door locks, such as numerical codes, passwords, passphrases, Security Tokens, Biometrics, and RFID.
Why need to know how to open an electronic door lock without a key?
You might need to open electronic door locks without a key for several reasons. Here are some of the most common:
- You’ve lost your keys or locked yourself out and can’t get inside your house.
- You’ve forgotten where you put the spare key, and it’s too late at night for anyone else to come over and let you in (or if nobody’s around).
- When the electronic door lock battery is dead or not working well, people can’t open the door using their keys and need a new one to open it again.
- When your door lock has stopped working due to some technical problem and you cannot get inside, it becomes essential to know how to open the electronic door lock without a key or card.
What to do before opening an electronic door lock without a key?
Before you start to open the electronic door lock without a key, we have to confirm whether has some better way to open the door and not destroy the lock:
- First, you need to ensure that no one is inside if there is someone inside who can help you with your problem and assist in opening the door for you.
- If your lock has been hacked or tampered with, we don’t recommend trying these hacks because they may do more harm than good.
- Does anyone else have backup keys? If not, will they still be able to get into their homes even though their keys don’t work?
If any above methods can help you open the electronic door lock, please change the battery of the electronic door lock at once after you enter the room. This may seem an obvious step, but sometimes people get so used to using their electronic door lock that they forget about its batteries.
How to open an electronic door lock without a key?
How to open an electronic door lock without the key? Here are some tips:
Use a backup mechanical key
Open electronic door lock with backup mechanical key: These are used for emergencies. The backup keys should be kept in a safe place for easy access, as they may become helpful at any time. If the lock has a backup mechanical key, use it to open the door.
Remove hinges from electronic door locks:
But if you don’t have backup mechanical keys, you can remove the door hinges with a screwdriver. Insert the screwdriver into one of the holes on each side of the door and gently pry up. Once enough space is created for you to get your fingers in, pull down on both sides until they come off ultimately.
Once removed from its hinges, replace both batteries with new ones asap.
Use a power bank:
If the battery inside an electronic door lock is dead, use a power bank to charge it back up again and get back into your home with no hassles!
Use a credit card.
You can pick up your lock with a credit card if you no longer use credit cards. Just slide the card into the space between the door edge and frame. You must apply pressure on both sides of the safety for it to open.
Make sure that you don’t force anything into the slot, or else it might break your keyless entry system, due to which there will be no way for you to get inside your house or office premises for a long time!
Use a screwdriver to open the lock:
You can use a screwdriver to open the lock, but this method is not recommended because it will damage your lock.
Use Backup Mobile Operations:
This option works only if you use an Android phone with an app that lets you unlock your door with your phone and control it from anywhere you are in the world via an internet connection or WiFi network.
If this option doesn’t work for you, then try opening mechanical door handles instead of electronic ones because some mechanical locks are easier than others when it comes down to how well protected they are against tampering attempts like prying them off with brute force without damaging any other part of their structure such as hinges etcetera).
Use drilling tool:
Drill holes into the bottom side paneling near where the handle attaches so that wires come out through the opening. Then reattach handle onto door frame with screws provided in package which came with new purchase kit!
Emergency Lock Override
You could always use the emergency lock override if you forgot your keys. If there is no such option on your electronic door lock, you may have to call the technician or replace it with a new one.
Emergency Lock Override (ELO) is an external release method for use in emergencies only, such as when you have locked yourself out of your car or home and there is no other way out except for this hidden keyhole on the door frame that can be used when all else fails!
It’s important not to leave ELO enabled at all times because it may allow intruders access into your home without having to break anything down physically – just by using their cell phones! The same goes for Smartphone App.
Contact a locksmith
If you are unsure how to open an electronic door lock without the key, you should find a locksmith. The locksmith can come over to your place and help you out with the issue.
You can call a locksmith who offers services for locked doors and windows in your area. In some cases, they may be able to open the electronic door lock without a key. However, this may not be easy and may cost more than simply replacing the lock on your door.
How to avoid opening electronic door locks without a key and keep the room safe？
Keeping the key in a safe place is the most important thing. You should never lend your electronic key to others and try not to leave it in the lock or door when you go out. The following are some simple ways to avoid opening an electronic door lock without a key and keep the room safe:
- Please don’t put the electronic key where someone else can easily reach it, like on a hook in your room or purse.
- Don’t leave the key in a place that any stranger could see—for example, don’t put it outside on top of your door frame so that anyone walking by would be able to see it from far away.
- Keep the key in a safe place when you are not using it.
- Don’t lend your keys to others or leave them behind for others to use.
- Never leave your keys in the door lock or outside of doors where someone else might find them and try to open the door with them, causing damage to both locks and doors.
- Always put your house keys somewhere that is difficult for unauthorized persons to access, such as inside drawers or cupboards, under pillows or mattresses, etc., so that they cannot be quickly taken away by intruders if they try breaking into your house through any means possible – including breaking down doors!
Keeping an electronic door lock always protects your life and property. Instead of mechanically locking the door, you will use a card to unlock it. The methods of operation are more convenient and safer. You can read the instructions carefully before installation or consult professionals to install them again to avoid unnecessary troubles in the future.
If a strange person tries to break in illegally, even if he gets your password, he can’t enter your room without holding a card with an electronic chip!