Upgrading Your Door Locks Now
Upgrade your door locks if you can not solve the problem with our troubleshooting guide.
Try our smart keyless door locks for convenience without any changes when installation.
How to Install Keyless Door Lock? Step by Step Instructions
This article will show you how to quickly install keyless door locks without expensive equipment in some easy steps and make them work correctly.
Keyless door locks provide convenience and security to your home by eliminating the need for keys. Keyless locks are easy to install and don’t require expensive equipment; you don’t have to be an expert handyman or pay exorbitant installation fees.
Here are general steps to install a keyless door lock:
- Step 1: Remove the Old Door Lock
- Step 2: Fit New Keyless Door Deadbolt
- Step 3: Install the strike plate.
- Step 4: Mount the faceplate and secure it with screws.
- Step 5: Adjust if needed.
- Step 6: Test the lock
- Step 7: Program Your New Lock and set a new code.
Total Approximate Time:
- A straightforward replacement with an existing hole takes 20-45 minutes.
- For a new installation requiring door prep: 40-75 minutes.
- For more complex smart locks with advanced features, up to 1-1.5 hours.
These are general estimates, and the actual time can vary based on the specific lock model, tools available, and individual experience with such installations.
Prepare Tools to Install a Keyless Door Lock
As you prepare to install your keyless door lock, you must know what tools you need. This can vary depending on the brand and model of the keyless door lock you purchased. However, there are some standard tools used for most installations:
- A screwdriver. It is best to use an adjustable head, as this will allow different size screws.
- Drill bits. This tool is used to drill holes into walls or doors so that screws can be put through these holes so that nothing slips out of place during installation. You will want to make sure the bit is a perfect fit for the size of your deadbolt; if it doesn’t fit correctly, it could cause damage to your lock or door frame when installed.
- Socket wrench or ratchet wrench– This tool is used for removing and installing hardware like hinges and handles from doors or drawers (as well as many other things).
- Tape measure- Use this tool and measuring marks on doors/windows, which should help guide where measurements should go during installation.
- Batteries – These are needed for the keyless door lock to work properly. If there aren’t any batteries included with your purchase, ensure there is a battery compartment before installing anything else, or else the device won’t function properly after installation.
- Chisel and hammer. To cut the mortise in the door, use the chisel to shave off excess wood around the edges of each side of the lock. Then, use your mallet to tap on it until you have a nice, clean-cut hole for your lock’s mortise.
Step 1: Remove the Old Door Lock
The first thing you should do is remove any old hardware on your door. This includes any handles or knobs attached to it.
Start by removing your old door lock (if you don’t already have one). If replacing an existing lock, remove the screws holding it in place with a screwdriver.
If this is a new installation, you’ll need to remove any screws attaching the current hardware to your door before removing that hardware.
Note: Please clean up all surfaces. Clean off any dust or debris you may have created by removing your old lock by wiping down all surfaces with a damp cloth or paper towel, making sure to wipe both sides of the door frame and the inside and outside surfaces of the new door lock once installed.
This will prevent dirt buildup inside your new smart door lock mechanism that could cause malfunctions or damage to parts over time due to a lack of lock maintenance on your part!
Step 2: Fit New Keyless Door Deadbolt
Next is preparing your new keyless deadbolt by removing its packaging and mounting plate and setting them aside. Make sure you know where these pieces go later on before continuing!
Next, we want to take our deadbolt unit (the part with two side holes) and line up our strike plate to see how much room we have left when connecting them later during installation.
Fit the new keyless door lock into the door, and mark where you need to cut it so it fits snugly in place.
Step 3: Install the strike plate.
Remove the old latch and strike the plate. If they are screwed on, use a screwdriver to remove them. If they are held in place by clips, press down on the top of each pin with your thumb while pulling outwards until it releases.
Step 4: Mount the faceplate and secure it with screws.
Fit a new latch onto the door and then fit a strike plate over it until it clicks. Mount the faceplate and secure it with screws. If you’re replacing an existing faceplate, unscrew it from its current position.
If possible, use screws rather than glue when mounting them together—this will allow easy removal if necessary!
Step 5: Adjust if needed.
Adjust if needed by loosening or tightening any screws until everything is aligned correctly; test by locking/unlocking several times with keys and codes if unsure whether adjustments have been made accurately.
If you want to adjust keypad sensitivity (to avoid false entry), remove the battery cover from the back side of the casing and carefully bend tabs away from the inside surface of the case until the desired level of sensitivity is reached (be careful not to break off tabs).
Step 6: Test the lock
Open and close your door five times a row, making sure that all locks work as they should by locking and unlocking them each time you close your door. There will be some resistance when turning the keyless deadbolt, which is normal and helps keep intruders out of your home.
Step 7: Program Your New Lock and set a new code.
The last step in installing a keyless entry system is programming it so only you can get inside! You must set a programming code to manage this Keyless Door Lock. Also, you need to set a new guest code for your daily use.
Complete the guide video about installing a Keyless Door Lock.
What needs to be considered when installing a keyless door lock?
Several factors need to be considered when installing a keyless door lock.
- Keyless door lock style: The first factor is the style of your keyless door lock. There are many styles of keyless door locks, and you should find one that fits your home’s decor and aesthetic.
- Keyless door lock installation location: The second factor to consider when installing a keyless door lock is its location in your home or office building. Most people choose to establish their locks on the front door, but others may prefer using them in their garage or back doors instead.
- Safety of Keyless Door Locks: make sure you’re buying good Keyless Door Locks for the security required by your household or business! If possible, ask someone who knows about these things for advice before making any purchases so as not to waste money on something unsafely built without knowing it beforehand.
- Price of Keyless door locks. A keyless door lock costs much more than old-fashioned door locks. If you want to keep your house secure, it’s better not to buy cheap ones.
- Size of Keyless Door Lock. You’d better choose the right size for your home doors and windows before purchasing a new one; otherwise, it won’t fit well when installed.
I hope this article helps you learn how to install a keyless door lock. If you have any questions, please get in touch with ShineACS Locks at any time.