Are smart door locks worth it?
The smart door lock industry has experienced nearly 20 years of development and has entered a mature period.
It has the genes for branding, high quality, convenience, and intellectual development.
From the beginning of its development, it has been geared toward satisfying people’s desire for a better life.
Directional development, especially to solve people’s various troubles about using keys, provides many functions, bringing excellent safety and convenience to home life.
An intelligent lock system has two advantages that cannot be denied: safety and convenience.
With an intelligent lock system, all the troubles related to “door locks” can be solved:
- I forgot to bring the key,
- The key is broken in the lock cylinder,
- Can’t release the lock,
- Rushes home from work to clean and open the door for roommates, relatives, and friends.
- Especially families with elderly and children are not afraid of losing keys or forgetting to lock the door.
Many people have safety concerns: Are there any mechanical locks safe?
As long as it is a regular product, smart door locks are a dimensionality reduction blow than mechanical ones.
Reasons for Buying Smart Locks
Although the smart door lock market has been hot in recent years, it is mainly due to the occupation of the capital market. Consumers are not as optimistic as they think about the active purchase of smart locks.
From the perspective of purchase reasons, it can be divided into the following categories:
(1) Standard decoration of fine decoration: real estate projects are the market with the fastest increase in the smart door lock market and the enormous volume.
As fine decoration becomes standard, more home accessories like smart homes and smart locks spring up.
Smart security, etc., among which smart entry locks are also essential supporting facilities in the bidding for centralized procurement of significant real estate.
(2) Need to buy: This part of the purchasers is natural because of need, and they purchase smart entry locks for a convenient life, such as forgetting to bring the key, too lazy to get the key, the elderly forgot to bring the key, and throwing trash out of the door are locked.
(3) Impulse to consume: This part of consumers’ choice of smart entry door locks is entirely due to the manufacturer’s marketing and marketing strategies, such as operators’ packages giving smart locks, buying insurance to get smart entry door locks, buying smart main door locks to get cat’s eyes, etc.
Advertising and marketing are also enough to attract attention. Consumers’ Consumer behavior occurs under visual impulse.
(4) The strength does not allow low-key types: intelligent residences, high-end villas, if they are still traditional iron locks, how uncoordinated and unbalanced.
(5) Trendy type: technology enthusiasts always pursue new things. Natural smart home door locks cannot be missed as an entry-level product for smart homes.
Do I need to buy a smart lock?
The smart door lock is an upgraded product of mechanical door locks.
It is a new thing under the wave of intellectual development. The use of smart front doors improves users’ quality of life, facilitates users’ service, and improves intelligence in use.
It is the right product that can improve people’s living standards, and it is a “just-needed” product when it is intelligent.
It is recommended that users with conditions of use buy smart locks according to their needs.
Misunderstandings in choosing smart locks
This section will give some suggestions for choosing smart locks, but first, we should know the following common misunderstandings in choosing smart locks.
But first, let’s take a look at the common misunderstandings in choosing smart locks:
1. The more smart lock functions, the better the smart lock
The general unlocking methods for smart house locks include fingerprints, passwords, RFID cards, and mechanical keys from unlocking ways.
Of course, there are also combinations of other unlocking methods mentioned above.
However, a door lock does not have as many functions as possible and too many. It is complicated, and there are many hidden dangers, such as easy failure and unstable performance.
Some businesses will add many functions to the door lock to allow consumers to buy their smart entry door locks to think they have purchased a super cost-effective product.
Therefore, intelligent house locks’ choice is not based on the number of functions but performance, especially security.
2. The more affordable the intelligent lock, the better the smart lock
Many smart security door lock brands are on the market now, and the price range is extensive.
Some people may think that they look the same, it must be cheap, but many cheap smart key door locks have no guarantee.
But the material inside is much worse. The risk may be significant if there is a problem and the after-sales cannot keep up.
An intelligent security door lock is not a fast-moving consumer lock. Its service life is generally ten, twenty, or even more years.
Therefore, when buying smart locks, you should choose to protect the brand in all aspects better.
Generally, mainstream brands are preferred: high visibility, High recognition, and long time involved in door locks or smart products.
3. Too much attention to smart door lock appearance
Although the door lock is outside the door, it can have a specific decorative effect, but you will lose everything if you ignore the safety of the good-looking appearance.
In the severe homogeneity of smart key door locks, smart lock manufacturers may make up for the lack of quality and work hard on the appearance.
Still, as users, we can choose the door lock to look at the appearance, but it depends more on the quality.
9 Expert Guidance Choosing Tips
A suitable smart key door lock is mainly compared and purchased from the following points:
1. Smart Lock Cylinder
A C-grade stainless steel smart lock cylinder is better.
The smart security door lock cylinder is the soul of a lock, and its importance is self-evident.
The current standard lock cylinder can be divided into A, B, and C levels.
The A-level has the lowest safety performance in anti-drilling, anti-prying, and anti-technical opening.
The smart lock cylinder has an anti-drilling sheet, which is the best.
Secondly, the fingerprint lock purchased must have a spare mechanical key to prevent particular circumstances.
The C-level lock cylinder adopts a double row, computer, compound curve groove, and general technology that can reach 270 minutes!
It can be said that it is the lock core with the highest safety factor at present.
A lock core mixed with copper, iron, and steel
Qualified lock cylinder: The safety function is passed, and the stability and the feeling of use are not good enough, such as immediate power consumption, loud sound, and easy to break.
High-quality lock cylinder: sufficient safety factor, right materials, stable structure and not easy to break, excellent related performance.
If the original anti-theft door is not such a big lock, there is no need to change it deliberately.
The reason is similar to the heaven and earth hook; it was initially an Overlord lock, so you must confirm whether it can be used and how expensive it is before buying.
2. Smart Lock Material
The material of smart door locks has been introduced in the above classification.
For example, although copper has strong comprehensive performance, it is the most expensive because of the complicated manufacturing process; stainless steel has good hardness and durability, but its style and color are relatively simple;
The alloy material is easy to process and shape, so there are many high usability styles, generally zinc alloy.
Therefore, stainless steel or zinc alloy materials are generally selected, and most of these two types are produced on the market.
3. Fingerprint head
The semiconductor recognition fingerprint head is better.
Fingerprint locks’ identification technology includes optical and semiconductor fingerprint heads. Generally speaking, both have their advantages and disadvantages.
However, choosing semiconductor fingerprint heads better than optical fingerprint heads in terms of recognition speed and recognition rate is recommended. The semiconductor fingerprint head is not affected by temperature.
Optical fingerprint heads are generally used for company clocks.
Optical recognition fingerprint head: The type commonly used by units to punch cards can only record fingerprints’ surface patterns.
It has a high error rate and is easily fooled by fake fingerprints. It is low cost and has been gradually eliminated.
Semiconductor identification, with high safety factors, records fingerprints through temperature, pressure, electric field, etc. In recent years, it is the mainstream, just like unlocking mobile phone fingerprints.
4. Smart Lock Battery
There are two types of batteries for smart room locks: dry and lithium.
- Although lithium batteries are relatively high-end, if the quality is not good, there is a risk of explosion and leakage;
- Although dry batteries are ordinary, there are no safety risks. Under normal circumstances, past battery life for half a year is OK.
So dry batteries are better.
- Dry battery: easy to buy, no safety risk, generally no problem with battery life for more than half a year.
- Lithium battery: It needs to be charged, which is inconvenient; if the quality is not good, there is a risk of explosion and leakage.
For more information about smart lock batteries, please read this article: How are Smart Locks Powered? All About Smart Lock Batteries
5. Unlocking method
According to the first shopping misunderstanding mentioned above: the more functions, the better; generally, there are about four unlocking functions.
There are many ways to unlock; the most basic and mainstream are three kinds: fingerprint, password, RFID card, and a key.
Don’t be greedy; first, ensure the necessary skills are good and consider other fancy functions.
The key is extra, and the bottom supports and the keyhole is usually arranged at the bottom of the cover.
6. Budget smart lock
Don’t buy fully automatic smart lock models if your budget is low
- Semi-automatic: You need to twist the handle to reverse the lock after closing the door.
- Fully automatic: put the door on the mechanical lock.
From a practical point of view, you don’t worry if you forget to lock it.
However, the automatic lock body has technical barriers after closing the doors.
The best silent electronically-controlled automated technology is not famous yet, and the cost is high; lithium battery-driven and mechanical, not stable enough, not quite enough, but low cost.
A good automatic is very expensive, and a low-priced automatic is very poor.
For more information about the price of smart locks, you can check this article: What are The Different Types of Smart Locks and Price?
7. Has a virtual password
Virtual password technology means adding any number of digits before and after the correct password.
The door can be opened as long as there are consecutive, valid passwords in the entered numbers, effectively preventing the leaking password.
8. Adapt the thickness of the door
Before purchasing a smart house lock, you must first understand whether your door is suitable for installation. If you can install it, what is the door’s thickness and choose the thickness of the right door.
Generally, the thickness of the wooden door needs to be greater than 4 cm. There must be a gap greater than 3 cm between the iron door if it is an iron door.
9. The service must be good! !!
The smart house lock is a service-heavy product, and the mobile phone can survive a day without it.
According to industry data in 2019, offline sales of smart home door locks accounted for more than 80%. One big reason is service. If you have problems, you can find a more efficient dealer than Taobao customer service.
There are a lot of cheap smart locks. Can I buy them?
Answer: What you pay for is an eternal truth, so cheap has its limits. When the limit is exceeded, it will fuss about product quality and service, and smart door lock products are essential to quality and service.
So it is strongly recommended not to buy smart locks that exceed the value limit. These products are unbranded, unserviced, and unsupported companies with no technology.
Such a product purchase is not a good experience but a disaster.
To buy smart lock products, you must buy branded, serviced, and technically supported products. Only such products can ensure regular and orderly home life and enjoy the right product and service experience.
Where to buy smart locks?
Answer: With the rapid development of the Internet economy, there are more and more channels for commodity circulation. Therefore, there are more and more channels for purchasing smart door locks. There are online channels, including Amazon, eBay, and many other home appliances.
Many well-known brands of smart door locks are on sale, which is a critical purchase channel.
Many brands are selling in offline home furnishing stores, building materials markets, specialty stores, community shops, and other channels, and smart door lock products can also be purchased, which is also an important purchase channel.
Users can buy smart lock products according to their consumption habits in the most convenient way.
How to buy smart locks?
The following are the recommended steps to buy smart locks:
- Make a budget and budget the smart door lock price.
- Look at the smart door lock appearance and choose the one you like;
- Look at the smart lock brands, and select the brand that suits you;
- Look at the function, look at whether the product function can meet the needs of use;
- Select the purchase channel, which channel you think is convenient;
- Look at the quality. If you have the conditions, it is best to experience the experience and quality of the product on the spot;
- Look at the service, Determine the installation requirements and after-sales service response time with the sales staff;
- Look at the evaluation, online and online reviews, and offline to read the reputation of the people who have used it;
- Look at the smart lock installation service; look at the installation after purchasing. Good smart door lock installers play a critical role in user experience and product quality assurance.