Over time, hotel locks wear out due to heavy use or outdated technology. The best option is always to replace the lock with a new model with the latest features.
ShineACS Locks can help with hotel lock upgrade jobs, from small boutique hotels to large resorts, including all guest room door locks, back-of-house doors, administrative offices, and meeting room doors.
What is a Hotel Lock Upgrade?
A hotel lock upgrade is when you replace all hotel locks on your hotel doors with a more modern lock. This can be a good idea if you have old locks that are not working correctly, but it’s also worth doing if you are worried about security or want to make your hotel more secure.
You should know that this isn’t an overnight job, so don’t try to do it yourself unless you have some experience with installing new hardware and wiring things together.
A hotel lock upgrade is a great way to keep your doors secure, and it’s not as expensive as you might think.
Why need to upgrade your hotel locks?
You’re probably wondering why you need to upgrade the locks in your hotel. In today’s world, there are many reasons why you need to upgrade your hotel locks:
- Your guests and staff are safer. Magnetic card hotel locks have problems like magnetic stripe theft and unauthorized access by hackers. Upgrading the Magnetic cards with RFID hotel locks can prevent these issues by using wireless technology instead of physical cards or keys.
- You reduce the risk of theft, fire damage, property damage, injury to guests and staff, etc., caused by unauthorized access with old magnetic card hotel locks.
- Reduce the risk of theft by upgrading your locks, which are more secure than older magnetic card keys.
- Reduce the fire risk by upgrading your locks, which have a higher resistance to heat and smoke than older magnetic card keys.
- Reduce the risk of damage to your property by upgrading your locks, as they are more robust and less likely to break in an emergency (like when someone needs to get out).
- Reduce the risk of damaging your reputation by upgrading your locks because they provide more protection for you and those staying at your hotel or business. For example: if someone steals from inside their room using an old magnetic card key, it could be seen as negligence on behalf of staff members who didn’t check their security correctly before allowing them access
Also, old magnetic card hotel locks have problems with:
- Their magnetic cards can be copied easily by anyone with a device that costs less than $50. This makes them vulnerable to fraudsters who can create fake cards or steal real ones and use them at another location.
- They’re easy for thieves to open if they don’t have a key card in their possession—and that’s not ideal for any business owner!
When will you need to upgrade your hotel locks?
There are several reasons why you may need to upgrade your hotel lock. Some of the most common ones include:
- The hotel lock upgrade should be done when the hotel locks are not working correctly or have become damaged
- If hotel guests ask for an upgrade, it’s a good idea to consider upgrading your hotel lock. This will make sure that they feel secure and comfortable in your hotel.
- You may need to upgrade your locks if you are running a special event at your hotel or refurbishing an existing one, such as a wedding or conference.
- You are opening a new hotel or refurbishing an existing one
- You are adding new rooms to your property
Are there any risks to not upgrading your hotel locks?
The main risk of not upgrading your hotel lock is that it will be easily picked, which means that anyone with a bit of skill can get in. Any valuables inside, like laptops or jewelry, could mean big trouble for you and your guests.
A poorly-secured lock also means an increased risk of break-ins and theft for guests and staff at your establishment. It also harms everyone if someone attempts to make off with something valuable by force.
Finally, not upgrading your hotel locks could cause serious damage to property and reputation if someone breaks into an occupied room and causes havoc (or worse) while stealing from you!
What benefits can you expect from upgrading your locks?
Upgrading your hotel locks can have several benefits, including:
- Reducing security risks. By upgrading to a more secure lock, you can reduce the risk of break-ins, theft, vandalism, and other criminal activity at your hotel.
- Increasing guest satisfaction. By improving the level of hotel security and safety for guests staying at your hotel, you can create a positive experience for them that ensures they return in the future. This will increase their loyalty toward your brand and widen your customer base, which leads to higher profits for both you and them!
- Reducing hotel lock maintenance costs. Upgrading your doors with keyless entry systems will save you money on maintenance costs since there won’t be any more keysets needing replacement annually when worn out by frequent use over time (or lost).
- Increased staff efficiency and productivity—with a new system for locking doors, there will be no more fumbling through paperwork or wasting time trying to find keys. Guests won’t have to wait for their rooms or check-in later than they’d like because of a poorly-functioning lock system.
- Improved hotel security—if you choose an electronic lock that requires keycard access, all outside visitors will also need one. This means it’s harder for unauthorized people to enter your hotel room than ever before! Not only that, but if guests lose their cards or forget them at home, they’ll have another option available at the reception—so no more missed meetings because someone forgot their keycard at the hotel!
Who would benefit from a lock upgrade?
Many people stand to benefit from a lock upgrade.
- Hotel owners and managers can opt for an electronic lock solution that allows for remote control, so they can always control the room keys even when they’re not at the hotel. In addition, installing hotel locks with features like a digital keypad makes it easier for guests to enter their rooms without fumbling with cards or keys.
- Hotel staff: Hotel staff may also find it more convenient to use RFID-enabled locking mechanisms since this technology will allow them to unlock hotel rooms with mobile phones quickly and easily. Using these types of hotel locks will also reduce the human error associated with handing out physical keys because there is no risk that those people could lose their belongings while working at your establishment.
- Hotel guests: Finally, guests who stay in hotels where such devices have been installed will experience greater convenience and better security due to reduced chance(s) of the possible unauthorized person(s) gaining access.
How to choose a new hotel lock when upgrading hotel locks?
When upgrading hotel locks, selecting a new lock that is easy to use and maintain is essential.
For example, you may want to select a push-button keyless entry system so that guests can easily access your rooms without having to carry around keys. These systems use radio frequency identification (RFID) technology to unlock doors electronically.
Additionally, you should choose a new hotel lock that offers some alarm or locking feature if children are staying in your hotel rooms; this way, you can keep them safer from potential intruders or accidents while sleeping in your establishment!
You can use the following criteria to choose a new hotel lock:
- Easy to operate. Your guests will always use this lock, so it must be easy for them to work.
- Ease of installation. The lock should be simple enough that you can install it yourself with minimal effort and cost.
- Ease of repairing or replacing parts in case they break down over time from regular use by guests and staff members alike!
- Security – The lock must be strong enough to resist brute force attacks and other forms of unauthorized entry.
- Durability – The parts that make up the mechanism might break down over time, so a more durable material will last longer. This can also improve security by making it harder for someone who doesn’t have their keycard or access code (like an intruder) to get into your room without causing damage.
- Styling – There are many different styles available, so if you want something that matches well with your hotel’s decor, this is not just about how secure but also how stylish!
What style makes sense depends entirely on the type of establishment: A luxury hotel would likely have very different needs than a budget hostel or an Airbnb listing! If possible, try visiting hotels like yours that have already upgraded their locks so that you can see what works well and what doesn’t work well within those constraints.
What type of new hotel lock will you choose for upgrading hotel locks
You first must decide what kind of new hotel lock you will choose. You may want to upgrade your lock because it’s outdated or because you want a more secure, durable, or stylish one.
There are two types of hotel locks that can be upgraded. One is the RFID hotel lock, and the other one is a mobile hotel door lock.
- RFID Hotel Lock: This new hotel lock lets you unlock your room using your key card or RFID tag. You can also use this type of new hotel lock by entering your reservation code (or booking ID). This type of new hotel lock has a more modern design than standard mechanical keys, so it looks nicer than most existing mechanical key locks on doors in hotels today.
- Bluetooth Hotel Lock with mobile app: If you don’t have any experience installing electronic devices before, this might not be for you since it requires some technical knowledge to work with these products! However, it’s worth considering upgrading to mobile phone apps if you have some basic electrical wiring skills or installing electronics.
How long does a lock upgrade take?
It depends. Several factors can affect installation time, such as:
- The type of lock you’re upgrading. Some locks require a complete replacement, and others only require a simple part swap.
- How many locks do you need to upgrade? If you need all the locks changed in your hotel, this could take several hours or even days, depending on how long it takes to get new ones ordered and installed.
- How many doors need new locks installed (if any). If there’s just one door out of dozens that needs an upgrade, it shouldn’t take too long!
- How long does it take to deliver your new locks (if you purchased them yourself)? This may depend on where you’re located and if they’re available locally or not—so be sure to check beforehand!
Hotel Lock Upgrade cost
The cost of upgrading your hotel lock depends on a few factors. The size of your hotel and the type of lock you choose are two significant factors that will affect the price. The number of doors and rooms will also affect your total costs.
For example, if you have 1 door in one room that needs to be replaced, this would be considered a simple project and would cost much less than if you were replacing all locks throughout an entire building with multiple doors and rooms.
The average cost for upgrading a hotel lock is $150 per door. If you have 20 doors, it would cost $3,000 to replace them. A new keycard system can help keep track of which keys belong to whom—and if someone loses theirs, they’ll be able to get a replacement from the front desk staff at no extra charge!
What needs to consider when upgrading hotel locks
When you upgrade your hotel locks, it’s essential to consider all of the following:
Your old lock size
This is the size of your current lock and its key. If you have a different size than what we offer, we can certainly work with you on getting the right one, but that may involve ordering multiple parts and having them shipped separately.
Your old hotel lock mortise
The lock mortise is the part of the door frame where the lock sits; it’s essentially an opening in this area where a separate piece fits (in other words, it’s what holds your new hardware). You’ll want to ensure that whatever model of hotel lock system software we’re using will fit into this opening without issue—checking if there are any obstructions or irregularities in its shape before purchasing anything else!
Your old hotel lock system software:
If possible and affordable for your budgeting needs and time constraints explicitly related to renting rooms out again quickly after installing new hardware upgrades at hotels like your own property, I highly recommend upgrading from older versions.
Do you need hotel energy-saving switches?
The hotel energy-saving switches can make a big difference by reducing the electricity your hotel uses. Some have timers and features that allow you to set when they turn off or on, which also helps save money.
Do you need an elevator control system?
The hotel elevator control system will make it easier for guests to use the hotel elevators by giving them clear instructions on operating them and where they go.
Who will be in charge of Upgrading your hotel locks?
- You can do it yourself. If you’re pretty handy and have the right tools, this option is a great budget-friendly way to upgrade your locks.
- Find a locksmith. If you don’t have the time or know-how to upgrade your hotel lock, hiring a professional locksmith is always an option! They’ll know precisely how to boost your hotel lock safely and efficiently—and they’ll even throw in some tips for keeping your hotel safe from intruders in an emergency.
- If you have a basic knowledge of tools, we recommend using a toolkit to upgrade your hotel lock.
- If you don’t know how to use tools or feel uncomfortable working with them, we recommend using a lock replacement kit. This type of service requires no skill. A professional locksmith will come to your location and install the new lock on your door for you!
- If neither of those options sounds appealing, we suggest using a lock repair kit instead. These kits are designed for DIYers who want to save money but need help fixing their broken locks.
Whether your hotel has a key or an RFID lock, replacing it is relatively simple. It doesn’t require any special tools or equipment and can be completed in as little as 20 minutes with minimal effort on your part.
If you’re uncomfortable doing this yourself, you can always hire someone else to do it for you. However, if you want to save money and have more time on your hands while still getting the job done quickly, this might be the way to go!