What Is a Hotel Digital Key?
The digital hotel key is a digitalized key that allows you to access your room with only a smartphone. Eliminate the need for RFID hotel door locks and RFID key cards.
It also allows you to apply the digital hotel key in amenities and other areas with your hand-phone that you regularly use as a plastic key.
These keys are applicable in hotel areas such as the hotel elevators, the gym, the parking garage, the spa, the pool, and others. You must make an early booking and be a frequent member to use a hotel-digital key.
In addition to that, the hotel’s digital key also applies in other different places. It’s good to understand that many national hotel brands use digital keys. Hotels such as the Hilton and Marriott.
Their keys are famously known as Hilton digital keys and Marriott digital keys. Make it a habit to double-check each place you access when locking it with a hotel-digital key.
These new technologies operate by administrators, managers, staff, and guests. They use cards that have their basic information. The information incorporated enhances the simple usability of the keycard. Also, these cards come in multiple styles, sizes, shapes, and colors.
They can accommodate each activity it would be involved in it. It is accessed using iPhones, Android (BLE-enabled phones only), and the latest type of phone or iPads.
How Does a Digital Key Work?
Different types of digital hotel keys have distinguished means of working. But, going with the most known means of a mobile device. A digital key is in the hotel guest app on the guest’s phone. When you get a mobile APP hotel door lock, such as our TTlock smart lock, it unlocks using Bluetooth. It is one way how digital works in this generation.
Usually, the designated access to guests, delivery services, or even employees’ access to enter is conducted and managed by administrators. It simply suggests that using the digital key is of high management.
The digital hotel key works when checking in. Your personal information is inserted into the key card, including your room number, other necessary details, and how your stay will be. These are the most important thing one should always incorporate. It helps one to understand how these digital keys operate.
The Evolution of Hotel Key System
The history of the hotel key system started a long time ago before some of us were born. Therefore, plastic cards have played an essential role in the hotel business for decades. But before plastic cards came into the picture, there were other systems.
It all started in B.C. when the Assyrians used wooden locking pins at the palace to secure staff belonging to the royal families.
It continued with various unlocking types of doors, such as pin tumbler in 2000 B.C., Greece in 600 B.C., and many others. Perhaps it’s no coincidence that the modern key began recently ‘after Yale’s first patent on his new pin tumbler cylinder lock.’
In 1970, the hotel industry invented lock and key technology as a source; of security and improved guest experience. They then operated using metals or plastic punch cards; they happened to be the next big thing.
In the early 2000s, hotels jumped into the RFID cards containing a small chip and; opened them by contact. It improved from several swipes by magnetic stripe to a radio frequency reader. It remained the best means and primary room accessing doors up to date. It has gained other advantages in the current century.
What are the Types of Hotel Digital keys?
Different digital hotel keys can be in color, size, or shape. But in this case, we are talking of digital-key entries. These digitalized keys are unique, safe, and secure. They are applicable in hotels, restaurants, big offices, and other areas. Where high security is necessary needed.
Usually, types of hotel digital keys fall into three common types. Namely: Mobile keys, RFID cards, magnetic stripe cards, and smart cards.
1, Mobile Keys
Hotel mobile keys use Bluetooth or NFC (Near Field Communication) technology and a corresponding mobile key app for hotels to turn guests’ phones into their room keys. It is one of the latest and most crucial digital keys for hotels.
Here’s how it works: Once a reservation is made, guests are sent an SMS or email with a reservation confirmation, a password or hotel mobile key, or a link to download the essential mobile app before arrival.
Upon arrival, hotel guests can unlock the door by tapping a button on the phone’s screen or simply holding the phone close to the door using the PIN phone key app for a hotel.
The efficient and personalized check-in process
An integral part of the contactless hotel self-check-in process, the hotel mobile key solution allows guests to skip the front desk and go directly to their room upon arrival.
Self-check-in with a hotel mobile key speeds up the check-in process and improves the entire guest experience, significantly reducing the manual management burden of employees.
Mobile key technology provides multiple layers of security and is the safest way to access hotels today. Even if the phone is lost or stolen, the portable key is first protected by a passcode, passcode, or fingerprint I.D. required to access the phone.
And you can get a mobile key hotel lock system from ShineACS Locks; for more information, please visit the ShineACS Mobile APP hotel lock system.
2, The RFID Cards
The RFID hotel lock cards are different from magnetic stripe cards. RFID card keys and magnetic stripe cards are standard digital keys for hotels.
RFID is also defined as proximity cards because they have unique swiping motion, unlike others that use one direction swiping method.
Instead, these cards use radio frequencies to identify and maneuver around the guests. Putting your card near the reader is sufficient to let the terminal see it. It will read the information correctly and enhance it to function well in the room and other amenities.
ShineACS has many different critical card hotel lock systems; please visit ShineACS RFID Key Card Hotel Lock System for more information.
3, The Magnetic Stripe Cards
Usually, it is one of the oldest types of digital keycards. Though, it is still applicable in many hotels because it’s cheap and affordable. It is advantageous because it is easy to integrate with the current system. When using a magnetic stripe, it only requires to be moved through a magnetic reader to complete the verification procedure.
However, it has two problems. These are: the information on the card is not secured. Second, the card details are likely to fade quickly. Either way, these issues will result in your card not functioning appropriately.
4, The Smart Card
From the suggestion, the term ‘smart’ means they are the best for hotels with digital keys. They are flexible, strong, and durable. They can also store information about a particular guest because they are well-made. It then advocates that it is the perfect card for guests with the loyalty program.
These smart cards are reusable. It makes them advantageous because they can be used again by each new guest. Even though this technology is expensive, we give the best.
But sometimes, their costs do vary. Our products are always in favor of everyone. We encourage you to buy this because it is an investment for you. And won’t have new digital keycards each time.
What are the Benefits of Digital Keys for Hotels?
One of the advantages of why hotels should incorporate digital keys; is hygiene and safety. More than ever, hotel management sees and thinks outside the box.
To minimize and eliminate plastic cards passed from one hand to the next. It is good to consider incorporating a digital key in your hotel business.
With this, the hotel hygiene and hotel security levels are high. It is simply because the guest received the key before arrival. Therefore, they will not get in contact with anyone at reception. Additionally, with our digital room keys, you are safe.
You can be assured that lock and unlock products are guaranteed the highest and most concrete form of hygiene and safety protection. Aside from that, below are other important ways to implement digital keys into your hotel experience. They are as follows:
- Flexibility: Hotel digital keys are very flexible because they can serve again through reprogramming. For instance, charging them or locking the room is simple if an employee or guest extends their stay than the time allocated.
- Guest experience: Visitors/ guests going to different hotels get new experiences. With their unlock access sent to them earlier, the guest can go straight to the room without questioning anyone. They purchased the key app for hotels that gives them every detail. It is on how to maneuver around.
- Up-selling opportunities: Hotels can offer personalized room service or great spa treatments. It is enabled because digital keys are in a guest app.
- Time efficiency and cost-effectiveness: The product is of high levels. It means that hotels save costs of manufacturing and sterilizing plastic cards. Fewer people (like 20%) working decreases payment amount to staff. It saves time too. It is because everything is digital.
- Reporting and insights: Reporting usually gathers full audit trails for new requirement staff, while insights manage data and observe the lifecycle of a particular guest. It makes things easier in the optimization matter of their hotel experience.
How to Use the Hotel Digital Key?
First and foremost, you need an iPad, the latest mobile phone version, iPhone, or Android with Bluetooth low energy enabled to use the hotel digital hotel room key. But, there are some steps you should follow to use the hotel-digital key appropriately. They are as follows:
- Join the hotel you desire group. It is free to join one. It gives you lots of benefits like the lowest rate when booking.
- Book a hotel directly. To achieve this, you need to google a hotel you want to attend. You can even visit their specific website.
- Check before it is your time to go in through the phone app. With this, you can make your request 24 hours earlier to inform them when you want to arrive.
- Ensure the app stays open. You will need to use the digital key to open the room door when you arrive. You’ll receive the information on how to go about it in your phone’s app.
- Afterward, tap the digital key. You must be near the room when you do this on your phone’s screen.
- Finally, tap Unlock. While standing near the room, you must tap unlock on your phone’s screen then the door will automatically open. Note: you don’t have to continue tapping for another door room to open because they will automatically be unlocked.
So, it is easy and faster to use digital hotel room keys. You do not have to struggle to ask around; our team consistently provides these details to hoteliers. With the help of your smartphone, you only need to google it and follow these steps.
What Technology Behind Hotel Digital Keys?
The hotel’s digital key technology has always been a big question to many hoteliers. Nowadays, most hotels use plastic cards. The plastic cards have a magnetic stripe on them.
Mostly. These keys have basic details of the user-person, more so the room they will be staying in.
Hence, the hotel personnel will insert the user information into the digital card once you check-in, including the intended stay period and the room number. On the other end, the hotel door lock will read the information.
Afterward, the door will unlock itself for you with the help of the hotel’s server.
In addition to that, hotels with digital keys can program your keycard to function in other places. These are common areas such as a spa, gym, swimming hall, or business center.
Suppose the room has some stuff that requires additional payment. In that case, it is easier to pay. You can pay your bills without handing over cash; you will do it through hotel-digital key details.
We provide these types of keys to make work easier. All means of payment; are operated by the workers assigned to do that. Also, our teams always ensure that they provide concrete products that are distinct and above average.
Even on matters concerning one’s privacy, we provide hoteliers’ owner’s suggestions for constructing self-private rooms.
What Hotels Offer Digital Keys?
Different hotels have offers for digital keys; however, it is good to understand; that this technology it’s still new and has not been rolled out to every hotel yet; here are some of the offers that hotel gives to digital keys users:
- Protecting guest
- Reducing contact by avoiding the front desk entirely
- Providing social distance
- It gives privacy at a high level
- Enhance visibility for customized promotional messaging to guest devices through a mobile app
- Streamline hotel operations
Is Digital Key Safe?
Yes, digital hotel room key systems are indifferent doors to provide safety to guests; their services vary according to individual lock-seller or companies.
To ensure that a specific digital key is safe and can offer tight security, pass it through testing guidelines. The testing verifies if it can be hacked in multiple ways and ensures the safety of guests and the whole management.
You do not need to have fear or contradiction in any given circumstance. It is because; ShineACS offers perfect products and what they are, and what to deliver. We deliver the best. It is because; we have many years of experience in this goods and services industry.
We ensure that our digital key does not have a deleted master code since readily available in product manuals online.
The researchers have also found out; that the new hotel digital keys are safer than the old ones. We move with new products; human life is always an important thing to consider. Therefore, our company’s professionals always manufacture durable digital keys.
Do not forget to incorporate the appropriate measures for security. But, we recommend that you make sure the unlocking codes are severally changed to decrease insecurity to your guests or brand.
How to Choose the Right Hotel Digital Key?
Hoteliers should select a hotel digital essential entry product that is safe, secure, and compatible with various electronic locks and other devices.
Also, choose digital keys which integrate with the current existing hotel system. These criteria are valuable. The hotel’s digital key technology can improve the guest experience and enrich hotel management.
In this case, to find the most out of integrating the hotel with digital key check-in. When picking the right hotel digital key entry or access control partner for your hotel experience, you must understand the following points. They are as follows:
- Compatible Bluetooth low energy access points: Check for suppliers with digital key entry or room; digital keys can access different places.
- Compatibility: You should note that not all digital key providers integrate with mobile guest apps. Check and investigate whether your preferred lock provider can integrate encrypted digital keys and push them to the guest experience app.
- Understand the business case: Choosing a key is not imperative as selecting the right one for business. Hoteliers should have a good idea of what changes they want after implementing digital key entry. So, choosing a key with an understanding of the business case is essential. It will give you an opportunity of picking the right hotel digital key.
- Security: When choosing any means of an upgrade with the hotel-digital keys, it is essential to identify how the new technology; can be perfectly integrated into the hotel’s infrastructure.
- Smart wireless locks: It is good to choose these types of locks. It is because not all access points must be in a wire. They are best since they minimize installation costs.
How Much ROI Can Hoteliers Make With Digital Keys?
The return on investment to hoteliers with digital keys can be better. All they need to do is always; consider and explore the new advancements of technologies and emerging trends.
Having that stated, every hotelier should consider a few essential elements when exploring digital keys.
Firstly, you should decide whether the guest will use a universal or branded app on their phone app to access the hotel-digital key.
The second is to examine how to upgrade the necessary devices in operating digital room keys. With these two factors, you can begin; receiving and achieving your ROI in a different style. You can go as far as getting a 20% return on investment.